We are now into week 4 of the Careers and Design interdisciplinary project. This is the Creation Stage of the Design Cycle where students bring a final design concept expressed on paper to life.  I am excited as I’ve seen so many fantastic mockups in their design notebooks powered by Evernote.

Gantt Charts are Key

Prior to charging forward into the creative process with Adobe Illustrator CS6, students were required to independently plan the priority of their tasks, time to complete those task and necessary resources using a Gantt chart.  I have found that the Gantt chart provides an important visual map for students and it’s neat to highlight the versatility and real-world application  of spreadsheets.

Student: “I really want to recreate/create this effect for the background of my infographic, can you show me how”

Me: “Wow that looks amazing!  I am not to sure how to achieve that myself, do you think you have sufficient time to investigate how to do that by yourself? Take a look at your Gantt chart, what are your priorities for today and see if you can explore that later?”

After a structured peer review of the Gantt charts, I gave a demonstration basic document setup in Adobe Illustrator CS6 and invited technical questions from students.  Perhaps the highlight of the week was sharing the new ‘image trace’ feature in Illustrator.  This allows you to take a raster image (most commonly know as a JPEG) and quickly convert it to a vector image which can then be further manipulated without loss of quality.

Stay tuned for the next post in which I will include a sample of complete Infographics and design notebooks.

Are you using Gantt charts for project management?  Familiar with the use of Adobe Illustrator for creating infographics?  Your suggestions and comments are most welcome.

CC Image by Flickr User DaveGoss