Project Genesis

Charlie Puth – One Call Away pdf

Explain the step by step process of this assignment.
In this project, the first step that I did was to do a lot of research on the internet, that includes watching the covers on youtube, on how to work on an arrangements on pop songs on musescore. Then after having an idea on how to do the arrangements on musescore, I started composing. I did the piano part, then the violin part.
Assess your success against your assessable criteria from your proposal.
I met all my assessable criteria from my proposal. However, there was still some of them that I was not able to meet because of various reasons. The first assessable criteria that I was not able to meet is the 4th criteria which was the 3 parts should be mixed well. This is because it already took me a lot of hours to do the two parts so unfortunately, I had to make the decision to not do the third part (second violin part). The second assessable criteria that I could not make was the 6th one – the structure that I must follow is the beat of the original song. I did not follow some of the beats/rhythms in the song because I thought it would be even better if I add my own beats and jazz that I learned in music class and try to apply them into my music to make this project even more meaningful.
Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired. 
I have learned a lot in this genesis project. The main one was to learn to write the song after listening to it. This was very challenging for me as it was my first time doing something like this. Even though it was very challenging, I still had fun when I was doing this project. The second skill that I learned was to make two parts in a song and combine them. This was also challenging for me because not only did I need to think of some really interesting rhythms and notes, I needed to combine them, and harmonize them to make my song sound good and playable.
What challenges did you face and overcome. 
The main challenge that I faced and overcame was to come up with rhythms that sound good, playable, but also sound like the original song. I spent the most time into the violin part’s rhythms. The second main challenge for me is to harmonise and make the chords sound good. I also spent a lot of time on the piano part. I took the song’s accompaniment as well as some covers on youtube for reference and recreate my own piano part. Even though there were a lot of challenges that I faced in this project and I found this project rather challenging, I still had a lot of fun doing it and learned a lot!

Leave a Reply