Project Genesis Final Mashup And Reflection

Step by step process of this assignment
1. I went on youtube to find mashups and did research online about how to successfully select songs for a mashup.
2. After acquiring some knowledge on mashups and how to choose songs that go well together, I used the Camelot wheel and considered the different tempos to pick out 4 songs that had compatible keys and similar tempos.
3. I downloaded the instrumental and acapella of the main song I wanted to have playing throughout the mashup and 3 different acapella tracks of my other songs.
4. I followed Mr. O’Toole’s video on how to match the tempos and managed to get all of my tracks in time.
5. I experimented with the order and the arrangement of my songs.
6. I trimmed the sounds and changed the volumes of my tracks so my main track wasn’t too overpowering.
7. I added a drum track in some parts of the song to make it sound unique.
8. I reviewed the rubrics and my self assessing criteria to make sure I did my best work.
9. I asked my peers on their opinions of my song.
10. I did not end up changing anything because they did not give much helpful feedback.
11. I saved my mashup, uploaded it to my iFolio, and wrote the reflection.
 
Success against assessable criteria from proposal
Overall, I met the criteria from my proposal. First, I stated that there had to be no swearing and that I would cut it out if there is any. I met that criteria fully because I ended up choosing most songs without any swearing or used parts of the song without the swearing because I wanted to stay safe and not risk anything. I also said that the mashup had to be between 2-4 minutes long so the song is interesting but not too long so it doesn’t get boring to listen to. I met this criteria because had my mashup at around 3 minutes. Next, I stated that the songs had to flow well together. Overall, I mostly met this criteria because all of my songs were in time and had compatible keys, which resulted in it flowing well because timing issues were not obstructing the flow. I also said that my mashup had to include at least 4 or more songs. I did meet this criteria overall and included 4 songs in my mashup that all have similar tempos and compatible keys. The last criteria was to use garageband skills I have learned to make it sound more interesting and unique. In my project I fulfilled this requirement. An example was when I used the drum kit in my mashup to add a beat to the areas in the mashup that sounded a bit boring.

Learning and new skills acquired
During this project, I learned what a Camelot wheel is and used it to identify songs that have compatible keys. I ended up selecting two songs in B Minor, one song in F# Minor, and one song in a Major key to add contrast. I also experimented with tempos and was considerate while doing the selection of my songs and picked songs that felt like they had similar speeds. I also learned how to match tempos in garageband by clicking enable flex and it was an overall good experience because I practiced my skills by listening to the tracks over and over again until it was the correct tempo.
What challenges did you face and overcome
Originally, I had selected 4 songs by the same artist that had similar styles. However, one of the songs did not have similar tempos or keys and like the rest of them so I had to change it because it sounded terrible. I ended up struggling with this a lot but eventually had to select another song by a different artist that went in time and was more compatible key-wise with the other songs. I did this to meet my personal criteria of 4 songs I stated in my proposal. However, this song did not sound THE BEST in my mashup because it was by a different artist that had a different style of music than the artist that had written the 3 other songs in my mashup. Therefore, when the song came in it sounded kind of sudden. However, it added some uniqueness to my project overall.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*