Sounds of CDNIS

Describe the process of this assignment:

In the assignment, I was tasked with creating a song using garage band and I needed to record 4 samples that took place in school. 1 of the sounds had to be a voice recording, it had to have a drum track, and the sounds had to be edited using plugins. To start this, I went to record. I asked a few friends and 2 of them agreed to do some voice recording, I recorded their voice and got 3 samples instead of 1, one of them is my friend saying “Blueberry Muffin” and “Lemon Tart” in a Chinese accent and the other, is my other friend saying “Wait, it’s Crab Rave?” After these samples I needed 1 more, so I took a pair of drum sticks and recorded me clacking them to the beat of the song I already had a template of, I added them in and put them on a loop.
After I got all the songs, I added different plugins to the sounds such as: a bit-crusher, overdrives, noise gates, and some reverb.
In order to mix around the sounds a bit, I cut them into pieces and turned them into a beat and melody, so now the voices would talk along with the melody.
My song was a pre-made Midi remix, I didn’t want it to seem to obvious that I didn’t make it and I didn’t want the midi tracks upstaging the sounds. So I got 3 different midi remixes of the same song and smashed them together by cutting out different parts and keeping the melody and the drum tracks.

Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product.

The sounds were pretty helpful with the project and helped introduce a new variety of possibilities to use the inputs I learned in the last terminology assessment. It also introduced me to editing more audio, for I’m more used to editing videos in imovie and adobe. And Midi’s and loops don’t need as much editing because they were made to fit perfectly and already go with the melody. And with pure audio I can learn a lot easier and faster. I can use a lot more noise gate and spend more time trying to find the right threshold for it to take out the background noise and not most of it. I also have the chance to use inputs I don’t usually use, such as distortion and a bit crusher.

Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.

I learned many different things during this assessment, for example I never really cut my sounds so that they fit the beat and melody, now with recording a lot of my sounds live, I have to really focus on making them fit to the song. I also learned about how to use pitch editors to make the pitch of a sound or a voice sound higher and lower. I used this in all my sounds during the assessment as it helped make the sounds more unrecognisable as voices and sounds in school. I also used a lot more distortion, specifically a bit-crusher. I find the bit-crusher very interesting as if you apply it to a midi song. It sounds 8bit like in an old video game, this is just one type of distortion as the many kinds can introduce a ton of more possibilities and diversity in my mix.
I also used 2 different audio sounds I downloaded from the internet and I learned how to edit things that are not pure audio but have previously been through the editing process, and that gave me a whole new skill of taking or blocking out certain noises of already edited music. I also did a lot of cutting and looping with the MIDIs since the time limit existed, I had to do a lot of copying and pasting. This helped me with tempos and timing while working on a project like this one.

What challenges did you face and overcome?

Simply making a mix that had all the voices and sounds in it was hard, for it’s not everyday where you make a song out of random sounds and noises recorded throughout a school. It was hard having ideas for what the people would say in the recording and who would say it. I was also hard trying to come up with something original, as I usually improve MIDIs instead of making them. I would see this as similar to writing music theory as the notes and ideas are almost completely new.
I overcame this challenge by reusing one of my remixes from a few assessments ago, Crab Rave by NoiseStorm. I then took a lot of bits and pieces out until the music sounded like it was missing a couple of things,
1. Bass
2. A Beat
and with my song, I cut the sounds and voices so that they provided a bass and a beat to go with the mix. I would say that the song is not original but the ideas behind putting the voices into it were closer to it.

In the beginning, I had the challenge of cutting out parts of downloaded sounds. I downloaded a few sounds as ideas and to add more to the bass of the song and I had a really hard time trying too, I found a-capellas and isolated voices for my mix, but there was a huge reverb and some had an annoying echos, I overcame this by using compressors and noise gates to help control it and keep the isolated voices “isolated”. It took a long time and I finally did it.
But when I added the a-capella the timing didn’t match…
The tempo of the voice was too fast and was always getting in the way, I did a long time of cutting and ripping the audios but no luck. In the end, I took out the acapellas

Leave a Reply