Amazing Grace Ukelele Assesment

In the following questions, you must use CORRECT MUSIC TERMINOLOGY.

Make sure you know the specific terms of what you need to talk about.

What is the key of your tune? Time Signature? *
During the unit I played the song Amazing Grace, the time signature for this one is 3/4, and the tune is C major.
What sort of rhythms are used in your song? How were they used musically? *
In this song the rhythms were – – – (1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3). In the song, it often comes by a quarter note(black note) followed by a half note(black note). The metronome’s tempo was set to 80. Even though my song looks like a beginner song and has nothing with the real song, the rhythm gives a zen and calm atmosphere and with the calm melody, it makes you dance, at first, I didn’t know how fast I was going to play the strumming, but Mr.O’toole told me that I should match the strumming with the melody, so I decided to do it slowly, I didn’t want to record one strum at a time and then copy-paste: but it looked robotic so I decided to play it at least 10 times and then copy-paste it.
Discuss your note accuracy and rhythm accuracy in regards to your strumming and melodic playing… *
When I recorded, I didn’t use listen to the metronome and the beats, because I had to concentrate on the ukelele and on the music sheet, I couldn’t concentrate at three things at a time, and I would say that I was half of the time accurate, and the thing is that I had to do plenty of editing, because each time I edited, it moved everything, and also I had to match the strumming with the melody and the singing, In all, I think that I made 3 hours of editing. Most of the time the note came to a half-second after the beat. It was also hard because I didn’t know how to sing the second part because the singing didn’t match at all with the melody. But the hardest thing was that I had to use my ukelele at home and it is a normal ukelele so the first note is a really high note, and most of the time, amazing grace’s melody felt weird.
What Ukulele skills have you acquired? Chords, melody, etc. *
This year was my first year of ukulele and I learned alot of thing, I realized that ukelele was a really good instrument where you can express yourself, I really liked it, my mum had bought me a ukulele but I had never touched it before, and now that I learned it in music class I am going to play it more often. Before I didn’t know that there was the melody, I thought that it only had the chords. But during this Unit, I acquired alot of skills: Now I know the notes for the strumming, but I still need to work on the melody notes, I still can’t really read them, because I am used to a different instrument, I am used to the piano, in the ukelele, it is the same partition,k so each time I read it I am looking for the piano notes! But also, I learned a new song, now I can play by heart at least one song on the ukulele.
How did you decide your tempo to match your song and style? Did the context of the song change because of this? *
Yes, it felt more like a zen environment, calm, it felt very different from the real choir song amazing grace, which is like a high sad song. I used 123 123 123 because it felt slower and easier for me, I wanted to do like a baby song at night. Each time, I recorded I checked if the tempo was ok. I wanted to do something different from the real amazing grace but I wanted people to recognize the song. The most challenging moment was in the beginning, I couldn’t read the notes so I had to ask people to help me, but all of them had different versions of Amazing Grace some of the people were playing it really fast and some of them really slow but at the end, I decided to do it my way, a slow zen way. I also got very confused because also, some of the people taught me the WRONG way for the second part, after I asked Mr. O’Toole what was the correct way, I decided not to ask anyone again.
How did you use the editing tools in Garageband? Trimming, Cutting, pasting, metronome, etc… *
I wasn’t really familiar with the garage band it was the first song where I used it, because my school was very different. I thought that the garage band was very interesting because there is alot of different things, but for amazing grace, I had to do basic, but it was a good start. I learned how to cut, In garage band(well for my song), I had to do alot of editing, and cutting/trimming, which annoyed me alot, but even though it was annoying, submitting something late was even worse, so I took 3 hours during the night to do it, but by doing this, I learned more how to be patient. Garage band first looked very complicated, but when you know how to do it it is very simple. it is very similar to Imovie, and I was familiar with Imovie. The metronome was very important and was the reason for all of the hours of work, I had to match the notes/strums with the metronome, and it due to that I had to trim and cut some parts and then when I did that, there was that blank background when I heard nothing and then I had to trim and cut from another part where I had to copy and paste it in the blank sound(ETC, ETC, ETC). Also, I wanted to record one strum then copy paste everywhere but it sounded horrible, so I decide to do it the normal way, I recorded it strum 5 times, like in the beginning, and then I pasted it elsewhere, I really tried hard on it, and even though it is not perfect, I am proud of myself
Discuss your recording process; recording bar at a time, chord at a time, in phrases? Did you have any concerns or issues? *
During this summative, I had plenty of issues, and I would say that it was very hard. One of them was that sometimes, I had to record with my own ukulele, which is the normal type of ukulele n=but it has the high note in the beginning, so in the beginning, people will have a different version of amazing grace because it is a very Highnote, it was a big challenge for me because I couldn’t stand the sound, there is a part where the singing doesn’t match at all with the melody, that is because of my ukelele. It also happened that when I was singing I thought that my singing was beautiful, but when I listened to it, it was horrible, I had to sing 4 times in all, because most of the time, the singing didn’t match with the melody, and I couldn’t trim or cut because you could here that blank song, also some of the people were screaming so I had to it all over again…Also, I tried to record one strum at the time and then copy-paste everywhere but it sounded horrible, so I decided to do it a different way, I wasn’t going to record the whole song, because I was sure that I would mess it up, so I decided to record different parts at a time, and then copy-paste it. Another issue was that I had blisters all over my fingers, and each time I played, I felt the terrible pain on my finger and I think that playing the ukelele removed me three layers of skin. I decided to record the whole singing and melody, but for the strums, I recorded different parts at the time and then copied paste it. I also had to compare to melodies and try to think which one was the best. In all, I recorded the singing 4 times, the melody 3 times, and the strumming 5 times. Even though it was very hard, the summative felt adventurous and fun.