How is your recording the same as the original song? Why did you do this?
The song I chose for this project was Level of Concern by TØP (Twenty One pilots). I used the same strumming pattern as it suited the song pretty well. I also managed to find a very similar drumming style to Josh Dun (the drummer of TØP). It made the song more lively and energetic. Lastly, it is in the same key as the original song, Emin, as I could sing comfortably in this key.
How is your recording different compared to the original song? What were your reasons behind your decisions?
The song used an electric guitar instead of a ukulele for the chords. It sounded funkier and gave out a rock vibe. Using a ukulele felt more like a pop song and that’s why I chose this song. I wanted to try to turn it into more of a pop song rather than rock. I included piano chords in the chorus of my song, highlighting the chorus while making the song less robotic. I also put a strong bass throughout the whole song except the intro and the outro. This added depth to the ukelele chords while supporting the harmony of the whole song. Last but not least, I used a fade-in/fade-out effect for the intro and outro without my singing (In the original song, Tyler Joseph sang). This made the song more dramatic and sensational.
Garageband editing – digital instrument, drum use…
As I needed a strumming pattern for the ukelele chords, I needed to find the up/down recordings of the chords. Because I chose the D-DUUD-U strumming pattern, I had to lengthen the first note and the fifth and shorten the rest. For measuring the length of the notes, I used the bar on top to get the right length. I cut the gaps at the beginning of the notes with Command-T so that the whole song is smoother and steadier. I chose “Pop Rock” for my drums as this is the genre of this song. I changed up the drums for different parts of the song. I added a strong bass throughout the whole song by turning up the volume of it just enough to make the song richer. Piano notes were added in different parts of the song so make it sound less robotic. I made my singing and the ukulele chords as the main part of the song and also used a strong bass. I set the piano notes and drums at a lower volume so that it acts more like a background. for making the fade-in/out effect, I pressed “A” and adjusted the soundtrack.
Time management for your project…
I reckon I managed my time pretty well as I managed to complete two songs. I would do a portion of the song each time every class. I didn’t do the work hastily as I did a little bit every time and finished the work on time. I stayed organized the whole time and maintained a clear picture of what I need to complete and when. I always planned the amount of work I want to complete before each class, and try to complete what I had in mind.
Independent learning… (responsibility of getting things done on time)
I used my time wisely and finished the assignments on time because I stayed focus during work time. I also finished the work I planned before moving on to doing other things. I kept a time limit on each task so that I won’t stay on one part for too long. I tried my best to attend every online class so that I could get feedback from Mr. OToole and learn new GarageBand editing skills.
Here’s the website I used for my chords. It differs from some of the other websites so I would like you to use this website for checking my timing: