My first summative for my music unit was to create a blog post with a music that includes strumming, chords and melody, and I chose Amazing Grace because not only it was the best choice for beginners, but also it had the nicest melody.
You can listen to the audio here:
How did you decide your tempo to match your song and style? Did the context of the song change because of this?
My original plan was for my song not only to match Amazing grace (the song I chose), and to follow the metronome so my audio would be more accurate. But after listening to my audio (which was mostly finished at that time), My rhythm was going slightly faster at a accelerating pace (accelerando) which was completely unintentional, because I wanted my audio to follow the metronome, but after listening to it a few times, I understood it was a minor error, and also it made the song more smooth, so I decided to leave it alone. Mr O’ Toole (during the PTSC) also said it wouldn’t have an academic effect in this unit. What I would do next time as a goal, would be to split my audio and play it into parts to make the rhythm equal.
How did you use the editing tools in Garageband? Trimming, Cutting, pasting, metronome, etc…
In the first half, usually I didn’t need to go through any editing except move the bars around, but in the second half, my consistency wasn’t as good, and it resulted as some mistakes and going offbeat. Due to this, I had to cut some of the music and get it along with the metronome. I also had to modify the sound because my strumming was very loud, while my voice wasn’t, and because of this, I had to make my strumming slower and more quiet, and make my voice more louder.
Discuss your recording process; recording bar at a time, chord at a time, in phrases? Did you have any concerns or issues?
Generally unless it was something I was having major troubles with (ex: chords) I usually just did it in one go to get it on rhythm, and in my opinion, in some aspects, that worked well, but but sometimes not quite. Recording it in one go made it more smoother and melodic, but also due to my inconsistency, it overtime went slowly offbeat and I made more mistakes, usually melodic. For example, when doing the chords, I accidentally played the wrong note or also played the note next to it, giving it an unpleasant sound. As a result, I had to split the chords and some other parts in my audio to avoid mistakes, although after the rhythm went more out of position. Also after investigating further, I looked at the strumming, and I found out my transitions to c and g were quite slow, having an affect on what the bar should look like and the beat. But overall, I’m pleased with my audio since it’s not too bad and with avoidable errors, and also I like the way I modified it too.