Ukulele Recording: Amazing Grace

What is the key of your tune? Time Signature?

The key is C Major, the time signature is 3/4.

What sort of rhythms are used in your song?

Crotchets, Minims, Dotted Minims, and 2 quavers are used in this song. The songs starts on the 3rd beat, and almost all of the other bars have a minim then a crotchet. The 6th and 11th bar has a minim then 2 quavers, and the 7th and 15th bar have dotted minims, and the final bar has a crotchet, then a rest.

Discuss your note accuracy and rhythm accuracy in regards to your strumming and melodic playing.

I learned the notes and chords and rhythm of this song very quickly, and I think I was pretty accurate when practicing. I had a little bit of difficulty when playing the 6th and 11th bar, as I had to quickly play in keep in time when playing the 2 quavers on each bar. Though I think I did alright when recording, though I had to record the melody several times as I think I wasn’t too used to recording.

What Ukulele skills have you acquired?

This was my first time playing the ukulele, so I learned a lot of ukulele skills. These include plucking, strumming, the C chord, the F chord, the G7 chord, and a few notes on the ukulele. I’m glad that we had a ukulele unit in music, as I bought a ukulele a month ago and have been really enjoying playing it.

How did you decide your tempo to match your song and style? Did the context of the song change because of this?

I decided to use 80 as my tempo as Amazing Grace was a relatively slow song, and I thought it would be a good fit. I don’t think it changed the song too much, as it was a slow song to begin with. If I had made the tempo 120, I will have probably been a bit fast.

How did you use the editing tools in Garageband? Editing, cutting, flex-time, trimming, plugins.

For the melody, I had a bit of difficulty when staying on time, so when recording I had to cut a lot of recordings, along with some trimming as I had trouble staying on time. But I think the final product was ok.

Discuss your recording process; did you have any concerns or issues?

For the melody, I had a bit of difficulty when staying on time for my recording, but when playing the chords and when singing, I was more used to recording, and didn’t have to record several times over. I think we didn’t have too much time in the recording rooms, and maybe should have more than just 5 minutes a session, but I’m glad I was able to finish my recordings under 5 minutes.