Sound of CDNIS – Music Assignment

Introduction 

For this project, we were supposed to use all the skill that we had acquired earlier in the music rotation to make a song that would include 2 or more original melodic software instruments, 4 or more CDNIS sounds (1 vocal), sounds edited using plugins, 4 or more loops (separate tracks) and 1 drum track. 

Describe the process of this assignment. 

The process of this assignment was to create a song which includes 4 or more sounds of CDNIS which are supposed to be sounds from the outside, 4 or more loops, 1 drum track and we were supposed to use the plugins. For the sounds of CDNIS since we weren’t at school, we had to use sounds at home or of the city and since I wasn’t allowed to go out I used the sounds at home. I used the sounds of me calling someone, me clicking my pen, someone reading a book or like the pages of a book being flipped and me clapping my hands. I recorded them on my phones and then airdropped them to my computer. The plugins part were a bit harder as even though we had used them before I didn’t know which one would work best with my music so I used different plugins that could work with the sound I had. Mr.O’Toole then helped me make them better by adding more plugins. The loops were the easiest part as we had worked with them earlier in the music rotation.

Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product.

Once again we weren’t in the school during this rotation so we had to use sounds that we found at home. The sounds I found at home were quite helpful as I used it so that there were a beat and a pattern that could easily work with the music I had already created. The claps and the clicks were really useful as I could both like separate them from the full audio and make it more interesting like when I put the click and the claps together it made the same sound. I didn’t use the full audio for the call as I just wanted that one part but it was quite hard to get as I planned to record the sound when I was calling my cousin and she always picked up too early. The page of the book being flipped is a sound that has low volume so it was quite hard at first to figure out where to place it during the song and then I think that they went well with the clap so I just put them together. I think I could’ve easily gone without the book flip part but it adds a bit more to the song. About the other 3 sounds, I think they were essential to the song.

Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.

During this project, I learned about how to use plugins in a more advance way as now they have to fit with the song we have created and it sometimes can be a challenge. I also find that finding good sounds to go with our song can be quite hard as not every sound can go well with the song. I learned how to put a sound right on the beat so that it doesn’t make it seem like it’s a bit late in the song or not on beat. I think that I definitely could’ve done this task in time but I procrastinated too much which didn’t help especially with classes online.

What challenges did you face and overcome?

During this project, the challenges I overcame were how I didn’t really know how to use the plugins but in the end I had a lot of help with Mr.O’Toole’s screencast and the sheet we made at the beginning of the music rotation. I also handed in my work really late because I wasn’t well engaged in the online school classes regarding music.

Here is my music : 

Appoline Masdebrieu 8F