Amazing Grace Uke Summative

This blog post is about my Uke summative.

For this summative, I had to record audio of me singing, strumming and picking on the uke to the song “Amazing Grace” I found it hard to edit because sometimes I would use the wrong tool or cut something that I wanted. I think that picking the melody was my strongest point because I could do that and manage it without any mistakes. I found it harder to strum because I found it hard to move my fingers from one note to another without strumming another string. I also can’t sing great.

Anyways Here’s my recording

What is the key of your tune? Time Signature? *
My tune is in C Major and it is 3/4

What sort of rhythms are used in your song? How were they used musically? *
Amazing grace starts with a pickup note, and then it goes into a minim note, then two quarter notes. This pattern repeats 4 more times and then goes into a whole note. then you repeat the pattern 4 more times and then another whole note ends the song. This pattern has a good effect because has a sort of “swaying” mood and vibe. I think that they chose this type of pattern because if it didn’t have a rest or all the notes were together, the song would be boring.

Discuss your note accuracy and rhythm accuracy in regards to your strumming and melodic playing… *
I found it hard to change from the C key to the F key because they are so far apart. I think that the melodic playing was the best out of the singing and the strumming because I was more accurate on that than the other ones. Even though I struggled with changing the chords, I practised my fingering and I managed to be able to change the chords faster and more accurate. My melody was mostly on beat but it was still not so accurate. Some editing helped it bring it on time.

What Ukulele skills have you acquired? Chords, melody, etc. *
I learnt how to pick the melody of the song I was doing. Last year when we did PA in Lower School, We only learned how to strum the chords. I think that it is harder to pick the melody because you need to change the string and move your fingers to different frets to play the correct note.

How did you decide your tempo to match your song and style? Did the context of the song change because of this? *
I changed the speed of the metronome and so it was faster. I think that if it were a bit slower, it would have a sort of calming vibe but it was a bit faster so I think that that vibe has been decreased. I wanted to play it like how I learned it when I was younger. The version I learned was faster and so accordingly, I played it faster. I think that if it was played slower, it would be more boring. I wanted this song to make you feel good and I feel good when I listen to fast music. I think that the context was changed a bit because of how I played it and its speed. I made the strumming fast and my picking fast and so it’s not a hymn anymore, its a song that makes you feel good.

How did you use the editing tools in Garageband? Trimming, Cutting, pasting, metronome, etc… *
My picking wasn’t in time with my singing and strumming so I had to trim and cut the audio a bit so that it would be in beat. At first, I had a bit of trouble using the editing tools because I didn’t know how to use them. I accidentally deleted my audio and I had to record it again. Sometimes I would accidentally edit the wrong audio clip and ruin a clip that I wanted. I eventually asked some of my friends and google-searched for some advice and I (finally) managed to be able to edit my audio properly without deleting or messing something up in the process.

Discuss your recording process; recording bar at a time, chord at a time, in phrases? Did you have any concerns or issues? *
I recorded the whole thing all in one go. I found it hard because there was a lot of editing involved to make it sound accurate. There wasn’t enough time to record many different clips and so I decided to record everything in one shot. I think that I should have recorded different clips because it would have been easier to edit and I wouldn’t have had to go through all the editing trouble.

Ok thanks for reading and always remember to wear your seatbelt