Culminating Assignment

Describe the process of this assignment. 
 For the last few weeks, I was working on my culminating assignment (sounds of CDNIS). For this assignment, I used 4 sounds from CDNIS, 4 loops, 1 drummer, and 2 instruments to make the song. The four different audio was a teachers’ voice, a locker, basketball, and a pencil. Firstly I used my phone to record some sounds in CDNIS including one sound of teacher’s talking. Then I put the recordings into GarageBand to edit, for example for my first sound which is a pencil, I used one plug-in to edit was Fuzz-Wah. Using those plugins can make the original recordings sound better or make them have a different style. After editing all my original recordings, I did a screen recording to talk about what changes I made. Then I started to make my song. Secondly, I chose some loops they are three piano and one beat track. The beat track can be the background music and it can be the main beat for the song. Then I started to make the music. The music was hard because it took a long time to finish. Also, it took me a long time to choose my loops because some of them didn’t really match my audios. Choosing the drummer was the easiest one to do because I didn’t have to edit it too much compared to my audios and my loops. The two instruments I added were the piano and guitar. I made my own melody for both and it fits really well with my other loops and recordings. I got to finish all my editing at school which meant I didn’t have to edit more at home. The teacher helped me with my first sound which was a pencil, he cut some unuseful parts and made a rhythm.

Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product. 
 I had recorded a total of 4 different sounds in CDNIS, which are a pencil, a teacher talking, a locker and dribbling sounds of basketball. I used one plug-in to edit the first recording was Fuzz-Wah. To edit my second recording I used two plug-ins were Bitcrusher and Pitch Shifter. To edit my third recording I used two plug-ins were Filterbank and lip distortion. To edit my last recording I used two plug-ins also they were Pitch Shifter and Phaser. By using those plug-ins can help us to get more different types of sounds. The pencil sounds match with my music because the pencil scratching had a good beat to it and it matched with my loops. The locker sound didn’t really match with my music, because the volume was too loud and my music has a slow tempo.
Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired. 
 Even though I learned how to use GarageBand last year, but I still have a lot of things that I don’t know or don’t understand, so I have to learn to think for myself and understand. During this assignment, I learned many things by using GarageBand. In this assignment, I learned how to edit the recording sounds by using different plug-ins. I found difficult to use plug-ins because I don’t understand some of the words and I don’t know what different by using the plug-ins. Later on, I found out how to use the plug-ins and knew what differences between edited and unedited. I did some research about plug-ins and tried listening to all of the plug-ins and I figured what plug-ins were and how to use them.
What challenges did you face and overcome? 
 I faced many problems and I almost handle all the problems I had, but for some parts that I don’t know how to fix, I went to ask the teacher or classmate. The biggest problem that I had faced was cutting the sounds that I had been recorded. After I edited I had to find some loops to find for the background music. When I started to record my loops, it was hard for me to record all the sounds, because I didn’t have enough time and it was too loud at school to record all the sounds. Also, making music was kind of hard because I didn’t have enough time to finish my music. However, I still got to finish my music because I was the focus for the whole time when I was in music and tried to finish more at home.