Project Genesis – Crit B/D

Explain the step by step process of this assignment:
Firstly, I have to decide what genre I wanted my music to be. After some careful consideration, I decided to take a bold move and decided to try to create classical music, something I am not familiar with. Afterwards, I did some research on what makes music classical. then I started working on the music. After conquering my composer’s bloc by drawing inspiration, I started to play the midi instruments. I tried out different instruments and different styles until I am satisfied with it. I then added plug-ins such as the reverb to enhance the flavour and smoothness of the midi instruments. I then added some loops to make the track sound complete.
Assess your success against your assessable criteria from your proposal:
I believe My song is quite successful due to the following reasons:
-The song must be at least 2 minutes long. I am absolutely sure I meet this criterion as my song is over 3 minutes long.
-The song must contain at least 2 midi instruments. I am also absolutely sure that I meet this criterion as my track has 11 midi instrument tracks.
– This song must contain at least 1 drummer track. I did not meet this criterion, however, I have overwhelming justification for not doing so. firstly, The classical pieces I listened to did not have a drummer. Secondly, My piece simply doesn’t fit with a drummer track, it completely ruins the atmosphere I am trying to create. Thirdly, I tried many different tracks and created a mental catalogue of which tracks will be good for which, therefore achieving the reason why I even set this criterion in the first place: to learn to use different tracks in appropriate situations. All in all, I believe my piece was a complete success.
Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired:
doing project genesis has taught me many things. Firstly, I learned to use midi instruments in an effective and significant matter. This is an extremely important milestone for me as this is the first-ever creation I used midi instruments as the main body of my piece. Secondly, I learned to use loops as support for other tracks, rather than as the main part. In the past, I always feel that all the other tracks have been overshadowed by my excessive use of loops. I have finally managed a balance between midi instruments and loops in project genesis.
What challenges did you face and overcome:
The first challenge I had was the composer’s block. I was completely frozen with indecisiveness at first and wasted a full lesson or two until I finally got over it by listening to classical music. The next challenge was to combine the loops and the midi instrument tracks. I decided on using loops in the more intense part of the music and playing the midi instrument in the calmer parts of the piece. This turned out to work quite well. Lastly, I was having difficulty transitioning from a slow pace to fast pace and vice versa. This problem was solved by fiddling with the tempo of the track.