Culminating Assignment – Product/Crit B/D – Sounds of CDNIS

Describe the process of this assignment. 
During the process of the assignment, I learned many things, such as how to use loops, how to use plugins, how to record sounds effectively, and how to edit things in a way that make them unrecognisable from the original piece. The design process of the piece started with the theme. I wanted this piece to be calm and thought-provoking. Next, I selected several pieces that match my theme. These are my backbone tracks and are present in every chorus. I then chose some tracks that sound good by itself and put them between choruses. Then I added my recorded sounds and used them to complement the main piece, finally, I added software instruments and plugins to polish the music.

Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product.
My CDNIS sounds ended up quite useful. for example, my recording of the buttons allows me to use it as a beat. After adding reverb and matching the clicking to the beat, the result was a simple, elegant and useful beat, perfectly complementing my music. also, the sound of the door closing was the perfect finish for my music. the added reverb made it sound far richer and louder. Putting it at the end allows the ending to sound definitive and also thought-provoking, reminding people that everything has an ending. The other 3 sounds that I hand-picked to be on the track all serve as complementary sounds. The recording of the teacher speaking was edited extensively until it sounds like a person screaming in a low pitch and adds background during the software instrument part. The sound of an open tap and the taping of the music stand creates a sound not unlike running water and is used at the climax to complement it.

Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.
Throughout this process, I learned many new things, from using the software instrument’s keyboard controls, including different notes, changing octaves, changing the instrument, temporarily increasing the pitch, etc. I learned how to use many different plug-ins, from phasers, which is how I edited the tapping of the music stand, to pitch shifters, which, as the name suggests, changes the pitch of the piece, which I used to make my software instrument sound deeper, and reverbs, my personal favourite, which allows you to recreate echos in different environment, which I used for many things, from the button clicking to the closing door. these plugins were instrumental to my music

What challenges did you face and overcome? 
I faced a multitude of challenges but luckily managed to overcome them all. One of the problems is how to incorporate the sounds to the music in a meaningful way without disrupting my piece too much. by using plugins, trims and making the sound repeat, I managed to match the atmosphere of my music. Another problem was incorporating software instruments. I could find no way to squeeze one in. so I decided to delete a track I found to be mediocre at best and replaced it with melodic software instrument tracks. By lowering the pitch and careful selection of notes, it blended in quite well with the rest of the track.