Sungwoo Jung – Sounds of CDNIS [Criterion B]

Song Title: The Homework Song

Describe the process of this assignment. *
In this assignment, I as the composer of the song was assigned to record 4 sounds of the school. One sound needed to be a recording of a teacher speaking and the rest of the 3 sounds were acquired to be any sounds of the school. I recorded all 4 sounds as required and then began to add plugins and effects. After adding the plugins, I recorded a video of myself explaining the sounds that I have recorded and what they sound like after the distortions. Then I began creating a piece of music using the 4 sounds, loops and midi tracks using previously learned knowledge.
Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product. *
I recorded 4 sounds of CDNIS. The first sound was my homeroom teacher speaking a sentence, the second sound was a sound of water from a sink, the third sound was the sounds of computer keys and the final sound was the sound of a wall being hit couple of times. As I recorded these sounds I made sure to record for at least 8 seconds in order to create a pattern. I wasn’t really going for recording sounds like other instruments since I was able to use loops and midi files. I feel like I was able to create a better beat with other sounds.
Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired. *
In this assignment we were able to demonstrate for the first time, the plugins that we have learned in our past vocabulary assignment. I was able to learn more about the plugins and get used to them overtime. Moreover, this was a new opportunity for me to create midi tracks. I tried new instruments from electro piano to guitars to pads and it was interesting to see how loops and midi tracks went along together.
What challenges did you face and overcome? *
I had difficulties coming up with ideas and themes for the music at the beginning. However I thought about using a EDM theme and it turned out to work out well. Another challenge I faced was controlling the plugins. I had trouble making the plugins have a nice clear sound and sometimes I had problems of the tracks overloading and sometimes being impossible to play. In the end, I tried my best to make the plugins equal and stand out together so the listener could hear them. However, I was still kind of disappointed how the sounds volumes were still overlapping each other even though equal plugins were made.