Project Genesis – Criteria Ci

What is the goal for your assignment?
 I want to make a mashup that includes 4 songs from four different genres like rap, hip hop, r&b and lo-fi. I am planning to take inspiration from the yearly mashups (like top pop songs of 2018 ) and I will try my best to get the same sort of flow and vibe.
Why this project?
 I like listening to all genres of songs especially I’ve always liked mashups of one artist’s best songs or several from the same genre and I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and try stuff out. The process of a mashup is so cool cause there are so many steps that all work together to create a song that flows smoothly together. I also want to use the plug-in skills I have learned from the last unit to make the songs fit together better, this a perfect chance to work on my plug-in skills.
 Outline/Process (Steps) to Achieve Goal.
 Firstly I have research. I have to research how to choose correct songs to mash up together and how to match the tempo together so that the final product can flow smoothly and fit together perfectly. Once I’ve decided what songs I want to put into my final product and what software I’m going to use, I will start downloading the songs. I had to research a bit on copyright issues and as long as I give credit to all the singers and producers I should be able to avoid copyright infringement. I will start trying to fit all my songs together. This step might take a little longer than the others but it is the most important cause everything I do in this step will be reflected through my final product. Once I am satisfied with what I’ve done, I will ask Mr. O’Toole to look at my product and I will ask my friends to give feedback.
What do you hope to learn?
 I hope to improve my plug-in skills and my GarageBand skills since they will come useful in future years if I decide to continue doing music as my final arts course. I hope I can improve my skills in editing music and altering them to how I want by watching youtube tutorials or asking Mr. O’Toole.
What are the criteria you will use to self assess the success of your product?
 I have to use at least four songs for throughout my mashup, adding in software instruments and loops, using plugins to edit my work, try to make it between 2 to 3 minutes while including all the parts I want to, and having transitions that allow one song to flow smoothly to another one. I also hope to add an instrumental track as a constant background but is a new subject to me and I have to research how to get this. Also just trying to make it consistent overall, with everything that is included. I want all parts of the song to make the listener fall in love with the song.