Describe the process of this assignment.
First I went around school to find sounds that were unique and could potentially create a beat or a melody for my final product and could fit in with everything else. Since I really like laid-back music and I noticed there were a lot of natural sounds in there that mostly belong from nature, so I went outside to find noises. The track also had to include a teacher’s voice which I chose Mme. Perrault. After obtaining all the noises I had to put on add ons and I made sure all of the noises well well disguised but still had some of its natural elements that makes it distinctive. The loops gave me a bit of idea for how the song should start. I made the tune myself and I repeated it several times to make the listener more familiar with the tune. I also put the loop that inspired me into the song so it flows better and isn’t just the same tune repeated over and over again. And since multiple loops had inspired me, I put the ones that suited best with the tune in the song and if the loop had a good beat, I would lay them under the more melodic ones, just quietly
Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product.
As I mentioned above, I was majorly inspired by laid-back chill music (lo-fi) and after listening to a lot of them I noticed that they take a lot of regular daily noises that are soothing like the rain or the waves and put them as a beat for the song. So for my first noise it’s me stepping on a leaf with add ons and after the I put on the add on I realised that the noise sounded too unnatural to be disguised as some part of nature so I cut some parts and made it sound like a clock ticking noise and put it in the whole song all the way through so it’s like a steady beat for the song. The second noise is me crushing a leaf with my hand. With my add ons it sounded like stepping into mud so I kept it and played it during the second part of the song. It’s a very descriptive song and you can also imagine crushing the leaf yourself. The third noise was the wind. During the time of recording the noises, it was very windy. The noise was originally me banging some wall but the wind part came through and I cut all the banging noises so it was just a short sharp wind noise. I made Mme. Perrault’s voice deeper than usual because it suited the overall mood of the song more and adjusting the pitch made all the wind and chatter in the classroom disappear.
Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.
Mr. O’Toole gave us a lot of time to get used to all the loops and add ons so it was easy to adapt to the final project. However, the one main factor that I really learned how to use effectively and really help me finish and improve my song, is Plugins. In the beginning, I didn’t know anything about plugins and I was completely new to it. I had a lot of problems with it, however, through lots of experimenting and tips from Mr. O’Toole, I found out how to use each and every plugins to its fullest, which was really effective for me personally in this project.
What challenges did you face and overcome?
It was really hard to fit all the different noises together at first. It was really crowded at some parts and really calm at some and that did not fit what I had imagined in my head at all. So the noises had to be further altered several times until they could all fit in together and not be so crowded. The flow of the song was originally very choppy since after a melody was played there would be no transition to the next one, so I use the recording of Mme. Perrault to act as a transition in between every part. The ending of the song was really hard to make because I didn’t know whether to fade out or refer back to past moments. Fading out proved to be difficult because there wasn’t a good enough ending so I went with the tactic of using the recording as a final transition.