Discuss the following creative decisions you made for your song choice…

Be specific to earn your grade!

How is your recording the same as the original song? Why did you do this? *
As you may have known, I have chose the song “Girls Like You” created by Maroon 5, as for how the recording is similar to the original song, let’s start with the singing. For the singing, the recording had used the same tone and speed of singing. For the strumming, the four notes were constantly repeated to fit the melody, but I have edited the speed of the notes in different parts of the recording, so it will sound more like the original song and it makes a lot more sense.

How is your recording different compared to the original song? What were your reasons behind your decisions? *
The song had a swear word, so as you listen to the recording, you can hear that I replaced the swear word with xx, and the reason was the criteria included no swearing or inappropriate use of language, so that is why I replaced the swear word. The song also has the quick rap, but it was beyond my singing skills, so I edited it out, plus the rap didn’t fit the rest of the singing the ukulele strumming and notes. I also had added software instrument, the beat machine, which was to list the beats of the song out and also to add more music effect to the song, but the original song had none of these beats in it.

Discuss the following skills in relation to your Ukulele song choice…

Be specific to earn your grade!

Ukulele Skills… *
I actually had learnt ukulele in grade 6, so I am slightly familiar with some of the notes, like C, A Major and G, but I learnt some new notes in this new unit like B major, E note, etc. I also learnt the speed of playing and strumming affects a lot to the whole song. I also learnt the different ways of strumming, like how to strum with lighter force and how to strum with higher amount of force, and also how it affects the song in terms of speed and sound.

Garageband editing – digital instrument, drum use… *
I had used Garageband in Lower school, but only on the ipads and it was only for instrument playing, but now, we had to used the Garageband on the school laptop, and when I first looked at the format for the first assessment, I was totally confused, for the first assessment, I couldn’t record, but then Mr O’Toole came and helped me with my recording and found all sorts of errors, but luckily we fixed it in time. I also had learnt how to cut notes, which would be really handy, or else I would have to have a bunch of different tries. For this assessment, I had learnt how to use the digital instrument for the first time. At first I had wanted to use the piano, but it didn’t fit the song, because the piano is fit for slow, grand music, but this song is a pop, modern music, so I chose the beat machine for the software instrument so it fits the song.

Time management for your project… *
For the time management of the project, which is really crucial, I have did some recording and strumming in class, but didn’t like it, so I have deleted it, but I don’t have a ukulele at home, so class time for ukulele recording is really crucial. For the ukulele recording, I didn’t work good on the time management, because I kept on deleting, but forgot the time I had left, so I kind of rushed it and added it into my HW. I did the singing at home, which was finished it one take. For the software instrument, I decided to do finish the recording in one take, but I had really wasted my class time on deleting ukulele strumming, I also decided to do the editing at home, which had its own problems, like rushing, but I can also work peacefully because there are a 25 other students recording, and I can’t concentrate.

Independent learning… (responsibility of getting things done on time) *
For independent learning, I had worked on the project mostly on my own, but I have asked Lachlan and my family members for some feedback during the process. For choosing the song, I have chose the song “Girls Like You” mainly because I have done that song for my ukulele assessment last year and had some good experience with the song. I had learnt to cords, by myself on this website called “Uketabs” and also by memory of last year.