Project Genesis – Crit B/D – Final product

Explain the step by step process of this assignment
First, you have to read over the task sheet and understand the rubric. Then, you can start to research about the different techniques of mash ups. After that, you start to find your 4 different songs that you want to mash up. I try to find songs that sound more similar and has similar rhythms and beats. Then you download the 4 songs that you want tp use. After you found and downloaded your 4 songs, start with making sure you changed the timing to one that fits with all 4 songs. Start with mashing up 2 songs then you can slowly add the other 2. Make sure your song is at least 2 minutes long.

Assess your success against your assessable criteria from your proposal
 I set a goal before starting my assignment. My goal was to make a mash-up with 4 songs of my choice, to make sure my song is on time, is on beat and is at least 2 minutes long. I completed all of my goal, my songs was 2 minutes long and was on beat. The criteria that I will assess myself with is making sure my whole song is on time, is on the same beat, and is at least 2 minutes long, and at least 4 songs for mash-up. I also want to make sure that I make good use of my time during class and at home, so I will be able to hand in my assignment on time. I finished my mashup and handed it in, but my reflection was late, so I should make sure to hand in my reflection on time in the future.

Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.
 In order to make a good mash up, you need to know how to mash up a song, how to control the timing and beats, how to edit a recording, making it smooth, and also how to cut a recording. Before this project, I have learned how to cut a recording, edit it with plug-ins and also making it smooth by making sure the timing is on point. Through out this project, I have learned a new skill which is how to make all the recording’s timing the same. First you have to find the beat of the recording, then when you press enable flex, you can control the timing of the recording. By learning this skill, my mash-up sounded so much better than not using this skill.

What challenges did you face and overcome.
 There were multiple challenges during this assignment. One of the challenges was to pick 4 songs that sound similar and has a similar style that can get mashed up and will still sound good. I did trial and error multiple times until I got the 4 best songs I could find, and started to edit it. Another challenge I faced was to learn how to pick different parts of the 4 songs to mash together. I tried playing all 4 songs together which ended up sounding horrible. So, to solve that problem, I decided to play the melody of one song at a time and an instrumental version of another song along with the melody. After changing the way of how I mash up my songs, the whole mash up sounded better.