Sounds of CDNIS final

Describe the process of this assignment. *
During this assignment, we had to first go record 4 sounds around our school. after we had recorded our 4 sounds we imported them into Garageband. In Garageband, we used a variety of plugins and effects to edit the sounds so they sounded completely different than their original. we made a 2-minute screencast describing what plugins we used and showed our original and altered sounds. once our music teacher Mr. Otoole knew what sounds we were using. we got busy using those sounds to try to find cool and interesting rhythms and beats. We also included at least 4 Apple Loops, 1 Drummer, and 2 Software Instruments to provide the background beats and keep the flow of the whole song. The song mainly used the school sounds and a few apple loops as the main beats, while the Drummer really added strong background beats. It was 2 minutes long and once finished with a rhythm we were satisfied with, exported on to our blog post as a low-quality MP3 so Mr. Otoole can mark it.

Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product. *
My first sound was our French teacher Ms. Perrault screaming. I chose this sound because it had high intensity and was also quite exciting. It had an obvious beat so it was easy to find rhythms out of it which could easily be heard throughout the entire song. It was also really useful for transitioning as it-slowly got quieter and quieter which built up lots of peak for sounds after it. My second sound was Mr. Loo saying ” Stop wasting my tape”. This sound was used for many of the deep, low-intensity beats in my song. Since there were 4 individual words, I could use a combination of the sounds of the words to find rhythms for the song. My third sound was a student named Cheng speaking French. This sound was also quite useful since the French had so many different sounds and syllables, most of which were not found in English. again, I also used this for all the deep-low intensity sounds ( This time Bitcrushed instead of Pitch Changed) as many of the syllables sounded quite cool and rhythmic when deep. my fourth and final sound was the Microwave beeping when you finish heating something up. This sound was useful, but it was more useful as a background beat rather than the main rhythmic beats. It was a simple yet cool sound that already had its own rhythm, so I didn’t want to waste too much of its potential. This is the only sound I did not alter a lot ( only added echo and delay ) and ended up providing cool, futuristic background noise to support the drummer, which also ended up being really useful for transitions as it gets faster and faster due to the delay effects.

Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired. *
Before I didn’t know anything about digital composition. Know, I can digitally compose a song to a minimal level. I have learned how to use a variety of plugins to make a sound completely unlike it’s original. My favorite tool so far has to be the Bitcrusher. It can turn pretty much all audio’s into deep, old retro-styled audios. The effect is audio which is both different and cool. Reverb an Echo was also really cool tools to use. They gave a kind of droning effect which sounded quite good on several of my audios ( such as the screaming ) as it made it more intense. I now sat that I can confidently compose a small little piece of music on my own. Using the vast majority of Apple loops given to us and the huge variety of plugins. You can basically make any sound you want possible. And with the digital instrument skills we learned, I am now more confident in being able to make backgrounds tunes with the instruments in addition to the drummer. This knowledge I have learnt makes me confident I can compose a nice and fun little song or rhythm.

What challenges did you face and overcome? *

The biggest challenge for me was finding Apple Loops. I had sorted through so many Apple Loops in order to find the ones I liked. While I eventually was able to find Apple Loops. It took me a lot of time. I ended up really liking the synths since most of them had high intensities and pitches. The timing was also a slight issue for some of my audios a several of them were not really in time with the loops at first. I was able to overcome most of these issues using some time outside of class to slowly sift through loops and I got the piece in time with so trimming.