Project Genesis – Crit A

Project Genesis – Criteria Aii

What information are you using from this link? *
The information I am using from this link is the basic tutorial on how to set up and make a mashup. First off, you make a Garageband project with the microphone. Then I have to organize my songs and cut off parts I want and don’t want, mostly incorporating the key parts of each song you’re using and taking off unwanted sections. Then you move each clip around and try to make them match. To make the clips not sound like its jumping from one another. A smooth transition can be done by fading out one song to another. To do that you can access the volume grid of the song then drag down the line at the end of the song to make the song fade out. To make the fade sound natural, you also need to do the same for the start of the next song where the song fades in.
This website provides on key things to know about when making a mashup. When finding each song, I should have both a vocal and instrumental version of the songs I’m using. This is because this will allow me to freely overlay my songs. But before overlaying the song, I need to fix the BPM of the songs are matching to fix song structure. When overlaying, I will be overlaying the vocals of one song to another song’s instrumentals. Another thing I can do is overlaying instrumentals together.
The website above was to teach me things to pay attention to when making a mashup. First thing to pay attention is that each track that you add in are all at BPMs. So when you overlay your tracks you need to make sure the BPMs match so it doesn’t sound messy. Second of all, the song structure of each track don’t exactly match. To fix this you would have to expand or trim down your tracks. Another thing is that the key of the songs won’t always match. I will need to review the circle of fifths for this as certain notes sound well together. I can also try changing the pitch of some songs.
Besides learning how to make a mashup on GarageBand, I also wanted to explore other softwares like Mixed in Key. To make a mashup with Mixed in Key, first, you have to build a library of audios and simply bring it up to the timeline. Then Mixed in Key has a harmonic compatibility tool that allows you to see how compatible each song is with your track. After picking the other track you can set the tempo and start fixing the volume and EQ of each track.