Project Genesis – Crit B/D

Explain the step by step process of this assignment…

The goal of my project is the make a mashup so here are the steps of doing that: 1. I watched multiple tutorials and youtube videos to learn how to actually make a mashup on Garageband as well as finding mashup songs inspiration. 2. After I’ve chosen my four songs, I first put the instrumental track on Garageband to match up the tempo. It took me a while to figure out the tempo and match it with the beats. After I finished that, I need to click enable flex to make sure my first track doesn’t speed up when I add in other acapella tracks. 3. Next, I put in my other acapella tracks as well and then I do the same thing (matching the tempo and enabling flex). After that, I do things such as cutting and pasting, and moving the clips of songs to beats where it makes the music sound smooth. 4. After I have everything in place, I pressed “A” where I can adjust the sound effects of the tracks. For example, I want the music for one track slowly fading out and I can do that when I adjust the sound effects. I also tried to add echo on the acapella tracks to make it sound better.

Assess your success against your assessable criteria from your proposal…

I think my product is quite successful because it fulfills every criteria I created. First of all, my mashup is 2 minutes and it included 4 songs in total. I did use garageband to create this mashup and I did my best to connect songs on beat and match the rhythms. As I used different acapella tracks, there are different vocals and smooth transitions that are on beat. I did make changes to the songs I used such as cutting, mixing, changing sound effects, etc.

This was my criteria: The mashup will be at least 2 minutes

The mashup will include at least 3 songs

Will use Garageband and other resources to create this mashup

The songs need to connect on beat and the rhythm needs to match

Having different vocals and include smooth transitions

Make appropriate changes to the songs I use

Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired

I think I learned a lot through this process. One thing I learned more about is how to use Garageband. Through this process, I learned how to synchronise the beats, change the volume of a track, how to mute a track, and so on. I also learned how to fine songs that can fit into each other by researching it online. Some other skills I learned is how to manage my time as even though I had a lot of time to work on it, I started doing it two weeks before the due date, which taught me to manage my time better next time.

What challenges did you face and overcome.

The challenge I faced was finding the right music in the first place. It was hard at first because I didn’t know what to look for as there are a lot of music on the internet. I tried a couple of times using random songs I searched but it just didn’t go together. However, I learned to find existing mashups on youtube to see what songs does my instrumental track match well with. I also learned to only use songs in existing mashups whose pitch wasn’t changed or else it’s going to be more complicated. I also asked for help from my friends as some of them completed the mashup before I did.

Jazz Composition Final

Blues Changes in F – Jing Li

Between my first and final draft of my music composition, some changes in my composition include adding the last bar to the composition because there were some changes to my chords. Another change I did was slowing down my tempo because I think it will sound better and more intact if I slowed it down. I also added more dynamics compared to my draft because there wasn’t really a lot of dynamics in my first draft. On the other hand, there are some note errors and notation errors on my first draft so I corrected those as well.