Ukulele song- “Somewhere over the rainbow”

Please listen to my recording below:

Ci

Identify an artistic intention.

Cii

Identify alternatives and perspectives

Di

Identify connections between art forms, art, and context, or art and prior learning.

Dii

Recognize that the world contains inspiration or influence for art.
How is your recording the same as the original song? Why did you do this? 
My recording had a few things that were the same as the original song, but at the same time, I adjusted some factors that would make it easier to learn and record. But at the same time, I also wanted it to sound like the original song. In order to do that, I used the same lyrics, key, time signature, and chords as the original version.

How is your recording different compared to the original song? What were your reasons behind your decisions? 
Like I said before, I also wanted to make it easier to learn for me and record, but also, I also wanted to do something different that could also sound great. Something that I did do differently is that I sped the tempo up to 120BPM. The song “Somewhere over the Rainbow” is a hopeful, relaxing, and peaceful song, so the original version had a slower tempo to show it’s beautiful meaning. But at the same time, when I thought of the lyrics in the song, I thought of how the artist’s intention was to think of happy thoughts and great things. Listening to the original song made me feel joyful, so I wanted to make the song a little more upbeat because I wanted my audience to feel that too. Also, I struggled to strum on the beat, so this was also a reason why I decided to change the tempo.

Ukulele Skills… 
I haven’t gained as much knowledge of playing the ukulele in comparison to when I started because I have gotten used to the basic skills I have learned from the previous project. But apart from that, I have learned a new strum pattern. It took me a while to get used to it, but now it’s the best of my ability. Because of the requirements of this project, I had to use digital instruments and use a drum track. I have learned how to use the keyboard when recording bass for my song, also I have learned how to create and adjust the drum’s playing style to fit the mood and the intention of this song.

Garageband editing – digital instrument, drum use… 
I have found editing on garage band very helpful also with the digital instruments that have come along with it. I have used the same editing tools I have used in the previous assignment, such as trimming and expanding. This is my first time playing a digital instrument and using them, it took me a while to figure out the keyboard and I have watched youtube tutorials for help. I have found the youtube tutorials very helpful and it has given me some basic information on how to use the keyboard for bass. However, in my final recording, the timing of the bass was a bit off. To solve that, I had to move and even expanded the ones with the shorter notes. Another thing that I had issues with was finding the drum kit/playing style that could fit my song best. Most of the drum kits I found were very upbeat and it didn’t go very well with the vibe of the song. So it took me a while to look for the best preset. Even though there wasn’t a perfect preset, I found a good option, however, I had to take out the shakers and make it sound softer. I think if I didn’t take the time and effort to solve these issues, then it would be a big problem that would stand out. Overall, I think that this project’s requirements and editing were much more difficult than the previous project.

Time management for your project… 
Before recording, I focused a lot on perfecting my first song. My first choice was the song “cups”, however, I wanted to do something different and apart from the class and I felt like that was a great challenge for me. I had to learn “Somewhere over the rainbow” in a very limited amount of time and I regret changing my song earlier. But at the same time, I’m grateful that I have changed my song because I like challenging myself and taking risks. Apart from that, I have missed some lessons and I think that if I didn’t I make better use of it and turn it in before the due date. There were also a lot of things that I didn’t understand about garage band and I have spent a while on watching tutorial videos, so that took up a handful of my time. I feel like my final recording is done to the best of my ability, but there are some things that could be improved upon, such as the things that I have mentioned earlier in this post.

Independent learning… (responsibility of getting things done on time) 
During the whole process, I think that I did a pretty good job of learning how to use garage band and the ukulele independently. I found information online and also from my friends to broaden my knowledge. However, I also struggled with learning independently too. I am a slow learner I like to work with others to see different perspectives and I could refer to someone. Whenever I’m working alone, I feel insecure about my work because I would like to have an example to refer to, so I know what my goals are and what I should be doing. But I feel like this independent project could benefit me for my future. In the future, I won’t have to rely on someone and there are some challenges that I will have to face alone.