home learning

This week for home learning I did, reading a variety of genres, algebraic equations and experimenting part two.

I am going to focus on one home learning I did this week, and it’s going to be experimenting-part two. experimenting part two was observing what would happen if we add food coloring into hot water, cold water, and room temperature water. During this Experiment, I figured that somehow the temperature of the water would affect the food coloring like I thought that if the water was hotter than the color would be clearer. And if you added cold water I thought that the cold water would make the food coloring spread everywhere. Some things I noticed were that when we poured in hot water there was steam and when we added cold water, the cup went very moist.

The results were a bit unexpected because I thought that if you added food coloring into the water that was hotter then it would be clearer and if the water was colder then the whole cup would be filled with food coloring but instead, it did the opposite. The cup with hot water was spread around with food coloring and the cup with cold water didn’t look that different. I realized why they reacted like this because warm water has more energy than cold water, which means that molecules in warm water moves faster than molecules in cold water. The food coloring you add to the water is pushed around by the water molecules.

I really enjoyed this home learning project because I got to learn more about molecules and how they react with different temperatures of water.