Criterion Ci and Cii
How is your recording the same as the original song? Why did you do this?
My recording, in some certain aspects, is the same or similar to the original since I use the same notes, tempo, strumming, lyrics and the essential backbone of the song. The tempo remained 132 beats per minute (from google searching it), the notes I used was from a website, the strumming remained equal to the tutorial… My goal for doing this is to create a song that doesn’t deviate too far from the original, still allowing the listener to recognise the original song. Using the same strumming proved to be a slight problem as if I followed along (the tempo that the person was playing at was slightly slower), the song would have been extended leading to the song sounding more unbalanced and stretched out, therefore causing song’s lyrics being out of sync.
How is your recording different compared to the original song? What were your reasons behind your decisions?
My recording differed with the original by changing the strumming, as if I followed it, the lyrics would have not been able to match the song notes, and the whole song would sound out of order. Also, due to the fact that we were required to add in drums and anyone extra electronic instrument of our choice, I added a piano to provide something that could reduce the bleakness of my strumming. This created an effect -to me at least- of a bottom in which it blocks the music from sounding empty and fruitless. On the other hand, the drums were a nuisance to deal with as since I played my song quieter and reduced the impact of the chorus to smooth out the song, the drums increased the volume and atmosphere to a more upbeat and energetic mood which, contradicted one of my main changes to the song. This change is due to the fact that my target audience is of a younger age, a song with spikes in volume might not be the most suitable option.
Criterion Di and Dii
I learnt how to properly hold and play basic notes on the ukulele last time, however, this time I learnt how to play more complex notes such as D, G and G7. These notes provide a challenge for me to overcome as I need to be able to swap from notes like D to G and G7 immediately without interrupting my strumming pattern. Adding on, maintaining the strumming pattern was a crucial part of my process due to the ever-changing notes and the necessity of the singing and strumming being in time. This is evidently heard during the second half of the song as since the strumming pattern has switched to a longer one, the singing was now not in sync. To correct this problem, I was compelled to tinker around with the strumming patterns to make the timings match.
Garageband editing – digital instrument, drum use…
As stated above, I was tinkering with the strumming pattern to adjust it as it wasn’t in sync with the singing. Even though I tried my best to manage, alas, my attempts were futile as I wasn’t able to successfully match the timings. As I begin to sink into the dark black hole of feeling desperate and forlorn, I was able to find my way back on to the track by using Garageband to cut and trim two sections of my recordings and stick them together as to shorten my strumming but still maintaining the steady pattern. Additionally, using the electronic piano to my advantage by creating a filler for the more barren sections of my recording helps to contradict the increase in volume by using the drums.
Time management for your project…
As for managing my tasks and putting my priorities in order, I think that I obtained success in most areas, including optimising the opportunities for in-class recording, setting and achieving all the deadlines, both my own and yours, and also arranging time slots to come in at lunch to re-record and improve on previous sections of the song. The one major factor of my planning that I missed out on is that I underestimated the amount of time it would take to find a more suitable drum track to go along with the more mellow and soft song I recorded. This would have a significant impact on the whole time management plan as I had saved choosing a drum track to the end, which I could then compare a variety of selections instead of choosing a track then forming my recording around it.
Independent learning… (responsibility of getting things done on time)
Again, as mentioned above, I managed to meet all the deadlines and optimise each learning session to be able to succeed in my recording. I also used the provided links on the “it’s uke to me” document to help facilitate my piano recording and maximise my ability to use the electronic piano. What also helped is the fact that I also reached out to my friends to ask for assistance when I ran into problems on the Garageband software as the students of the previous rotation held a comprehensive selection of information on this specific area of expertise.