Explain the step by step process of this assignment…
The following is the step by step process of which I took for this assignment.
1) The first thing I completed is the project proposal, which includes researching the topic and watching the videos on the task overview, and took around one lesson with a little for homework. I completed this without a problem as I already had an idea of what I was going to create for the assessment.
2) Then, I took the idea I had in my mind and found the suitable apple loops to fit my song. I
first thought that I might add different songs together to create a mashup, but I decided against it as I wanted to hone my previous skills to a higher level before starting something new. I estimated that it would take around 1-2 lessons, but in reality, finding suitable tracks was a slight challenge that I eventually overcame. In the end, it took around 2-3 lessons to complete this section of the task.
3) After that, I will record my software instrument/s, which consisted of three whole songs from the grade 6/7 ukulele song list. I ended up creating three but only using two as I felt that down in the valley and up on the housetop fit in, but amazing grace didn’t. I also thought that I had repeatedly used amazing grace in past projects and although it sounded slightly better than the previous ones, the other two stood out more since they hadn’t been used before. This took longer than expected and ended up taking around 2 lessons to finish the three songs.
4) Next, I sorted out the connections/bridges between the 4-5 different sections of the song, and also made the transition from software instrument to apple loops more smooth and sounds more like a single song. This seemed challenging as one of the sections didn’t really match with anything, but I shifted around the order and added a little more loops and finally made it connect. This only took around 1-2 lessons to complete.
5) Although I periodically checked my song with my fellow classmates, which yielded significant results, I did a final check-in with 3 of my friends and made some drastic changes to my song. These included the final ending which sounded too sudden and didn’t fit the theme of my song. This led me to adjust it so that it would fade out at the end but also staying within the 2 minutes 30 seconds mark which I didn’t want to exceed.
Assess your success against your assessable criteria from your proposal…
I think I completed a significant portion of my assessable criteria as I was able to keep it above 2 minutes, use at least one software instrument, include the drums… I also was able to ensure that all the loops were on time and accurate, which was able to improve the quality of the song. I also completely demolished the one software instrument requirement as I created three, with two evident in the song. This also played a part in increasing the quality of the song as I was able to include drums and correctly apply plugins to enhance the standard of the song.
Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.
Throughout this project, I was able to hone my skills acquired previously in other projects and combine them all into a single song. This allowed me to improve my ability to read sheet music, play certain pieces, and even allowed me to be able to use plugins to create a better piece of music. I was also able to improve my use of plugins in different situations as previously I focused mainly on a louder and EDM style music. This all builds upon what we previously learnt, but I also acquired some new skills through the GarageBand software instruments learning course that I took home. This course greatly improved my ability to play instruments on the GarageBand keyboard. I think that this along with other youtube videos used is essential to my project as they greatly improved my ability to play the software instruments, therefore increasing the whole quality of the song.
What challenges did you face and overcome?
Some of the main challenges I had to face and overcome were previously stated and mentioned above. These include the problem of trying to connect two completely different sections together and also this issue of finding the apple loops acceptable for this peculiar theme of music. I overcame these problems by using the search specifications at the top of the apple loops window to narrow down what loops I wanted to apply into the piece of music. For the previous assignments, I always used EDM style loops and therefore I knew what ones were effective, and what wasn’t, but I wanted to challenge myself so I went with a chiller theme for the loops. As described above, this method yielded significant change as I was able to cut down on time spent finding loops and focus on the next challenge, connecting those loops. he second problem I faced was the issue of trying to connect the software instruments, apple loops, and sound effects together. I used a variety of methods to accomplish this task, but in my opinion, the most effective change occurred when I tried to connect two different sounding chunks of loops together. I managed to bridge this gap by extending the duration of some of the tracks, but also slowly decreasing the volume at a slight downward facing slope. This didn’t last long though as I amped the volume back up to the second chunk but with the old part of the song still evident near the beginning. This allowed for a swift and smooth transition, unlike the sound effects that provide for an easier switch.