Describe the process of this assignment.
I had to start looking at the requirements for the assignments. We needed four recordings, midi instruments, musical effects and loops. It was important for me to think about what kind of song I wanted to make before hand so I could have time to record all of my different songs. Then I had to think about the structure of my song. I wanted my song to be made of mostly loops, which is why I had to spent a long time to find different loops that matched but also made the song interesting and not the same all the way through. For my instruments, I just looked up minor and major chords online and I found some chords I could play to match my loops. Finally for the musical effects, I used them to help me change the recordings to match my song.
Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product.
I wanted to make my song very calm, but also interesting to listen to, and for it to reflect my mood and my everyday life during school closure. This is why I had a recording of my teacher speaking during a class throughout the whole song. I made it added reverb and overdrive and made it sound unclear; I didn’t want it to distract from my actual song, but it did make my song sound more interesting and it did show how I am staying at home and doing online learning for now. Other sounds were an ambient noise of cars outside my window at night and some birds chirping during the day. These two sounds were added only in the beginning to set the mood. The last sound was the sound of a rainstorm, I also added some plugins to make it less clear, but it goes on throughout the whole song as well and helps blend everything together.
Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.
This is my video for Crit. D design
Here is my completed assignment:
How is recording the same and different compared to the original song? What were your reasons behind your decisions?
My recording is different from the original track mostly because I used different instruments from the original song. The one instrument I used that stands out the most compared to the original song by Elvis Presley is the ukulele. It gives a very different sound compared to the original song. I tried to make my recording sound more like the original sound by changing my drum to a modern R&B pattern: slower, and fits my song better in my opinion. This drumming pattern reminds me of the drums in the original song even though it is not exactly the same. For my digital instrument, after trying almost every instrument there is, I decided to try using a clarinet. I think this is what makes my recording the most different from the song. In the original song, the instruments used are pretty basic, electric guitar, double bass, piano, drums…ect. My song includes ukulele and clarinet. I don’t know if the two go together, but while learning clarinet, I have grown to love the distant, mellow sound of it. Overall, I think I was very influenced by the original song.
How did your music classes prepare you for this assignment?
Here is the audio of my clarinet assessment:
Here is my completed assignment:
Discuss your playing in regards to; timing, note accuracy, rhythm accuracy. You MUST use correct musical terminology:
Discuss your overall understanding of Garageband and it's processes. Note down what you learned about Garageband's capabilities and how this impacted your song
Hello! I’ve just started Upper School and it’s really different from Lower School. I am really enjoying the advantages of Upper School, like going to the library before it opens (in front of the waiting Lower School students), or having ten minutes of transition time between each class.
So for my design class, we worked on folding a paper cup without glue or tape. The paper cup is supposed to be able to hold water.
As you can see, it’s a very bizarre shape for a cup. I thought the flaps on the sides could serve as handles for the cup. What is good about it is that there are no holes. The flaps are closed, same for the bottom. It’s leak-proof so it technically works as a cup. For my next prototype, I will work on the the look of my cup. It’s not very pretty, the folds are messy. I plan to use a stronger paper too, so the water won’t get the paper wet.
For my second (and last) prototype, I used this cardboard paper. A lot stronger, so it’s easier to hold water. I made it neater, by taking out the unnecessary folds. In this picture, it is easier to imagine holding the cups using the two flaps, or just one. While it seems slightly unpractical, it can stand up straight on a table. I think even though it doesn’t hold too much water, it is a new and different design from the cups I’ve seen so far.
Thank you for reading this : )