culminating assignment – sounds of cdnis

Describe the process of this assignment.

The assignment was to create a 2-minute sing created out of 4 sounds of cdnis with 4 loops, 2 software machine, and a drum track. The process of this assignment was quite long, it started with us doing the previous summative where we had to give a description and explanation of how the plug-ins worked. Throughout that summative, it gave me a basic idea of how the plug-ins worked and how it sounded. After that, we had one lesson to go around the school to collect different sounds we could find or produce. These sounds later would be the main point of the assignment. After collecting all the sounds, I had to pick out 4 out of the 12 I collected to actually use in my assignment. In the 12 sounds, I chose one of me stepping on a loose tile, creating a really unique and addicting sound. I also chose one of me dribbling a basketball, this sound was really common and familiar to our ears so I wanted to see how the plug-ins could change it up. The third sound I chose was one of the water fountains, the water sound was really soothing and unique and it has a different vibe from the previous two which I really liked and thought would fit in with the song. The last sound was of Mr. Leung (our science teacher) saying “so you might say, scientific knowledge has been tested to a higher degree.”, I cut this part out from a 2-minute lecture because I felt like this would really suit the vibe of the song I was imagining in my head. After choosing my sounds, I opened a new garage-band file, I added them in and started editing them with the plugins I researched. After editing the plug-ins, the sounds I chose turned out really different from the original, but it had a nice vibe to it which I really liked. After that, I started listening to different loops to see if they fit any of the sounds I chose. I was scrolling through all of the loops before finding one that I thought would fit with the loose tile one, the beat in the loop and the beat in the loose tile were quite similar so I thought they would sound perfect together. I also found a similar beat for the dribbling basketball sound one which was perfect. I found a nice beat that really suited the water fountain vibe, it was more aggressive compared to the water, the contrast I really like. With the teacher audio, I split it up into smaller pieces and then played it over and over again to create another ick beat which turned out to really suit the song. I also added some software machine music, which added the cherry on top of the song. It really finished up the missing touches of the song. After that, the song was basically finished, I exported it and added it to my blog then submitted it in.

Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product.

In the 12 sounds I recorded around the school, I chose one of me stepping on a loose tile, creating a really unique and addicting sound. I also chose one of me dribbling a basketball, this sound was really common and familiar to our ears so I wanted to see how the plug-ins could change it up. The third sound I chose was one of the water fountains, the water sound was really soothing and unique and it has a different vibe from the previous two which I really liked and thought would fit in with the song. The last sound was of Mr. Leung (our science teacher) saying “so you might say, scientific knowledge has been tested to a higher degree.” The sounds were the main point of my end product, without it my song would sound crappy. The water fountain sound was really soothing, but when paired with a more up-beat beat, it turned into another vibe. It also had a little scratch noise in the end, which I used a lot throughout the song, it added some repetition which I personally really like and thought really fitted with the song. The loose tile sound also used for repetition and to create a familiar sound when listening to it. I cut up some parts of the sound and added it throughout the song. The basketball dribble one sounded really unique compared to the rest of the sound, and I thought that it added an addicting sound to the song. The teacher sound really different after edited, I also split and used some of the words to create a familiar sound to the audience’s ear. Overall, I would say without the sounds of CDNIS, my song would sound completely different.

Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.

Throughout this assignment, I learned a lot of different skills in the garage band which I found really useful. For example, how to use plug-ins, I never knew they existed till we had to do research about it. I found learning how to use plug-ins quite useful if you were editing your song and wanted to add something different. I also learned how to produce a song with mostly raw sounds. I never thought I could do this before, I never considered myself a producer or anything quite near that, so I put a lot of effort to actually making my song decent, and I think it didn’t turn out that bad. I also learned about time management, I wouldn’t say I am the best at managing time, I always procrastinate and push my assignments till the end. This time, I knew I couldn’t do that since I have never done this and needed more time to adapt to it. I learned to organize my time well, and plan out when I should have my things done. I would say overall, this assignment, my learning quite good. I used my time well, did everything necessary, and learned new skills on the garage band.

What challenges did you face and overcome?

Some challenges I faced were struggling to produce sounds when it came to software machine. I didn’t know how to produce a good sound with the software machine that would suit my song, the notes were also confusing, I kept messing it up and had to re-do it over and over again. But in the end, I think I got the hang of it and produce a beat that would fit the song and give it a nice touch. I also had trouble when it came to actually make the end product, I had a difficult time finding loops which I thought would match with my sounds. I spent too much time listening to loops, and after finding the right loop, I didn’t know how to edit it to make it sound like an actual song and not just a water fountain and a beat machine. I would say I am still a beginner at the garage band and that’s why I had a hard overall with this assignment. But I guess I managed, I asked a few friends and explored myself a little, which helped and finally made something that sounds like song. Another thing is that I forgot to save it once, but it was in the beginning and I had anything rarely done which was a relief. That taught me a lesson to always remember to save your work once finished.