How is your recording the same as the original song? Why did you do this? *
Same melody, same lyrics, same notes (except that I’m an octave higher), and these are pretty much the only things that is the same as the original song. I did the same melody because if I didn’t I might as well have done a different song (same for the lyrics). I used the same notes but an octave higher, and this is because I didn’t know how to play an octave lower on the ukulele. But this became a problem because I was scared to sing & I didn’t know if i could hit the notes (and i couldn’t cause i was kind of just talking in different pitches)
How is your recording different compared to the original song? What were your reasons behind your decisions? *
My tempo, instruments and pitch are different. I chose to use a different tempo because it was hard to play as fast as the song, my fingers can’t go that fast. I chose to do a different pitch, because I didn’t know how to play it an octave lower on the ukulele. I thought it would waste my time trying to find the lower octave and how to play it. For my instruments, I used a ukulele, drum, violin and piano. I chose to use violin, piano & drums because since my tempo is slow, I wanted a different mood for the song. The original song represents a kind of happy and excited mood, but I wanted a different mood (calm) because if I was playing slow, I shouldn’t try to make it make people feel happy somehow. The drum I used also gave it a sort of calm mood, and it worked out in the end.
Discuss the following skills in relation to your Ukulele song choice…
Be specific to earn your grade!
Ukulele Skills… *
I didn’t really improve that much on ukulele, we already learned a lot of things from Grade 5 and the ukulele summative last time. (apart from knowing where some of the notes are and how to play a song). The last time we did a ukulele summative I got confused about the strumming and melody, and I didn’t know they were different tracks — I thought the parts on the sheet music where there were fingerings on top of the notes were how I had to play that note (as a full strum). Now I understand that the strumming and melody are different things and they should be put in separately. I didn’t have a lot of time left and I couldn’t record my whole strum because I found it hard to change from string to string and from note to note. I record each strum alone and I put it into my track and edited it. I missed a chord so I luckily found someone else who had an f strum. Unlike the way I put the strums into my recording, I recorded the whole thing (of my melody) but I skipped the note E because it was difficult to get to on the ukulele (I had to move my whole hand). The way I overcame this challenge was I recorded the note E alone and I edited it in later.
Garageband editing – digital instrument, drum use… *
I have learned how to make one part of my song louder and another part of my song softer. I also learned how to use the software piano, and I learned how to change the piano into a violin (while having both tracks at the same time, so both a piano and violin exist). I was having a kind of hard time with the drum, because at some points it randomly stopped when I didn’t want to. At the end of the project, I was pretty happy about how the drum was incorporated into the song. To be honest, I don’t really know if it goes well with the violin, piano and ukulele …
Time management for your project… *
Compared to last time, I think that my time management skills have gone down. I planned my time, but I always postponed when I was going to record my ukulele to the next music class then to the next music class … I ended up doing my ukulele and my software instruments at the same time (except my drum). If i could do this again, I would record all of the things I needed for my ukulele track and edit it (and do the software instruments). Another thing that got me slowed down is my indecisiveness about my song choice. I was planning to change to under the sea, and for 2 classes I spent time to learn it but I thought it was too hard, so I changed back to all star. Next time I should just stick with the choice I had originally made. The thing I did good was record all of my strums (except one cause I misread it) and I managed to add in my strums at home, I did the same thing for a note in my melody (I recorded an E string separately and added it in later). I did this because I had troubles changing from string to string and from note to note.
Independent learning… (responsibility of getting things done on time) *
Even if I wasn’t fully done and I wasn’t that sure whether I wanted to add more or not, I got my song turned in on time. I managed to do a lot of work at home (and at school) to get my song done.. but I should not have procrastinated and waited until a week (not even a week like 4 days) before the due date to review and make sure that everything was on beat and check if all the notes were right (I found a lot of mistakes). In the end, I am kind of proud of what I did (but not as proud as the last ukulele recording). Next time I should try to manage my time better.