Ukulele Submission

I decided not to sing because I’m not comfortable with singing :>

My ukulele reflection:

In the following questions you must use CORRECT MUSIC TERMINOLOGY.

Make sure you know the specific terms of what you need to talk about.

What is the key of your tune? Time Signature? *
The key of my tune is F (F major), the time signature is 2/4.

What sort of rhythms are used in your song? *
The rhythms are repeating, but with different notes (except bar 12 – 16). It repeats eighth notes and quarter notes, with the quarter notes being on the last beat (except bar 12 & 14). I decided to swing the song because it’s normally meant to be played/sang like that , so I decided to go the traditional way. I also thought it sounded better with the swinging than without.

Discuss your note accuracy and rhythm accuracy in regards to your strumming and melodic playing… *
My note accuracy was pretty on point. There were a few notes I just had to re-record because I plucked a string too hard. The accuracy in my singing was okay. I didn’t need to do much editing for that. Some parts of my melody & strums were off beat (by like a quarter of a beat). I fixed this problem by editing my strums and my melody recordings by trimming and moving the recordings (on garage band) so that they are on beat.

What Ukulele skills have you acquired? *
I have learned another strumming technique and I learned when to strum, and that you’re not meant to strum on half notes. I learned new notes , and how to change from string to string faster (so no gaps if there’s a rest). I have also learned how to use a swinging tempo on the ukulele, I learned when I need to add a strum and when not to add a strum.

How did you decide your tempo to match your song and style? Did the context of the song change because of this? *
I decided to use a tempo of 71 bpm. I chose to do 71 bpm because I thought that if I had played it faster, it would be really messy and I wouldn’t really know how to play that fast (and i’d be rushing and mess up some notes). This song is also a kids song and I kind of wanted to match that theme so I played it slowly instead of playing it really fast like some other people did.

How did you use the editing tools in Garageband? Editing, cutting, flex-time, trimming, plugins… *

Since some of my strumming and melody-playing was off time, I had to some trimming. Another thing that happened was that I was playing with the metronome (on garage band) with 120 BPM, and I was playing at 71 BPM. I got help and managed to get it fixed. I had also wanted to autotune my singing (cause I suck), so I was playing around with some of the pitch-changer things, but it didn’t work :<

Discuss your recording process; did you have any concerns or issues? *
Recording the melody and strumming was easy. The editing part of this was also pretty easy. The thing I was the most worried about was the singing part, until I found out we could autotune (which failed), or we could talk the lyrics. Another problem was that, after a few weeks, I wanted to change to Johnny on the woodpile (at first I was playing amazing grace). I decided to change because i thought the notes & strums were easier. I wanted more of a happy song instead of a kind of sad song 🙂