Design,Home Sweet Home!,MYP

My Educational Board Game

12 Sep , 2017  

I am going to be creating an educational board game that will help students from grade 7-8 to thoroughly understand chemistry terms and apply those concepts in real-life situations.

I have done secondary research and looked at how to transform my unorganized ideas for my board game and turning it into an actual board game with the game mechanics. According to Evato Tuts+, I should base it off of the main topic, which is Grade 7-8 Chemistry. Then I should think of myself as a player of my game and visualize how or what my game should look like. Another approach could be adding or removing game elements from the games I analyzed, so I could think and play from another perspective, helping me identify certain needs and requirements (it would highlight the more important game elements) for my own game. The next step would be to flesh out my ideas, which is to make further connections with real-life events or situations (it could possibly be the theme of my board game) and writing it all down to make all my ideas clear. For example, if the board game topic is somehow related to California, a connection with Hollywood in Los Angeles might be made. The theme and the background story could then relate to actors or the entertainment industry. Lastly, I would need to go through the “content development” stage before drafting out my ideas/making prototypes. Here, I would be thinking of the components (cards, tokens, dice, etc) that I would include in my game. I have also done research on features that I could add to my board game to make it fun and compiled a list of chemistry related real-life scenarios that I could use on my board game. Fun features that I could add include more hands-on features (physical interaction between players and the game itself) such as spinners as well as multiple twists and turns to the plot/story which would build tension and excitement for the players. This could be a new storyline that the players can choose or “stop grids” that forces players to stop for a round.  The research would allow me to be more prepared for the next few steps of the creation process to ensure that I know what I am going to do.

The most important aspect that I took away from the research was the client consultations (primary research). I now understand the learning styles of the selected group of clients (they generally prefer lots of visuals, hands-on tasks, and getting to move around a little) that I interviewed. I asked about their learning needs (specific “special learning” requirements), which have included topics from grade 7 and 8 science that students struggle with. They thought that the hardest topics were separation techniques, diffusion and osmosis and parts of cells/cellular functions (not chemistry related, just for reference for real-life situations). Finally, I asked the student’s opinion on different features that I could possibly include in my board game. My board game is going to be made targeted to these students, so it is important to know what they lack, their preferences and their expectations for the game so I can create a high-quality educational board game.