Here are some pictures of the final package that I created for the design unit:
I do not have a specific target audience for this package, but I assume that it can be customers who wear or use sunglasses on a regular basis. This package is light, it can fully protect the sunglasses inside (due to its shape) and it can be carried around easily. Most of the sunglasses or even glasses packages out in the market are all relatively heavy, and they all look the same (similar shape). Using my package will be more convenient for customers to carry their sunglasses and fit them inside their bags, which makes it more user-friendly and accessible in general. With a more creative design like mine, customers that use my sunglasses will give a unique impression to other people and show the fun side of their style. In addition since the shape of my package is quite attractive, customers can display the package with the sunglasses at their houses as well. From the environmental aspect, my package is made simply with only using one layer of cardstock without using any adhesives to attach the different faces at all, which does not cause too much unnecessary waste.
Even though it is made out of cardstock paper, the package is still not strong enough to put into real use. The tabs (especially the one that is on the upper face that acts like a cover) can rip apart easily. The surface area to volume ratio of my package is 1: around 0.8, so it takes more materials to make space that is even smaller. My package is not as “green” because I could have used fewer materials instead of by shortening the height of the package. Some of the benefits of my package are high usability and unique appearance. I applied both my design and mathematical knowledge/skills into a real life, “design and create” situation. After acquiring all the skills and knowledge, I can now pick and choose the elements that I want to include in my final package.
The interdisciplinary aspect of math and design helped me create the net of the final product as well as calculated the surface area, volume, surface area: volume ratios, etc. I also have more practice with drawing nets to create irregular 3D shapes and folding the nets to transform it into a 3D shape, which might help me better visualize irregular shapes in the future. The disciplinary approach (the design aspect) was extremely helpful at the final stage of my final product creation because that was where I used the CARP design elements to design the outside of my package.
I will probably plan and allocate more time for the final package production instead of focusing too much on the drafts and other design mockups. Although making multiple drafts is crucial for creating a successful final product, but I found that I ran out of time near the end of the creation process, especially with designing the exterior of my package. Secondly, I will be more careful when adjusting the dimensions of my package to ensure that for every 1 unit of surface area, the volume created will at least be 1.01 unit. I will need to take the surface area to volume ratio into consideration when doing the adjustments. The final package that I created does not satisfy this, so it is not as environmentally friendly.