Design,Home Sweet Home!,MYP

Waste Not, Want Not

2 Mar , 2017  

The grade 8s had Design Day recently, introducing the new design unit combining maths and design. We started the day by looking at the general constraints for this project and understanding what we’re supposed to do. Next, we started researching and investigating in groups, looking at how to make packages and how the packages work (structure and form) to fit certain purposes. We also had a chance to make our own boxes to put our snacks in.

We deconstructed existing packages and analyzed its properties according to our restraints and Design challenge. The package that I deconstructed was the iPad Air box. The package was made from two rectangular prisms, one with larger dimensions and the other with smaller dimensions so the smaller one could fit in the larger one easily. I am guessing that the reason why whoever designed this package chose to put the package in this form because it is more sturdy and secure, especially when holding something fragile and valuable (the iPad). Depending on the object I’m going to package and its properties, I need to consider the different ways to put together the box(es) without using adhesives. For example, I can have two parts, one with longer dimensions than the other one, I can have handles for people to carry the package around or have tabs sticking out of the package.

Additionally, the iPad Air box had two layers for each rectangular prism (the base/top). The layer on the inside is made from cardboard, also the actual net that makes the form of the rectangular prism. The other layer is plastic and paper combined, which is made from thinner cardstock paper. Both have their own purposes, one is to keep a firm and sturdy form for the box to put the iPad Air (somewhat heavy) and the other is to provide the visuals: the decorations, tags and safety warnings. Even though the other layer may seem excessive and a bit unnecessary looking from the environmental perspective, but it is definitely useful because it offers protection for the cardboard layer on the inside. My goal is to try to use minimal materials to create my box, so I probably wouldn’t consider using two layers.

I’ve also done a little research on making packages for irregular shape objects and how to do so. It turns out to be easier than I thought. As long as you can all the measurements accurately, you can make a net of the package with sufficient quality. Therefore, I will try to look further into this in criterion B and my goal is to make a package that is original and creative.

Lastly, with the knowledge I have from geometry, I can create packages with the least environmental impact, reducing our carbon footprint. The total materials I use for my package can be measured with surface area. If the surface area of the materials is low, then I will not need to use a lot of materials to make the package. Fewer materials mean less waste and it decreases the carbon footprint of both the designer and people using the package.

Here are some pictures of my box for my snack that I made without using adhesives:

Photo on 28-2-2017 at 10.17 AM Photo on 28-2-2017 at 10.18 AM #2

Investigating in existing packages:

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 1.57.04 PM

One Response

1. Nicola :) says:

Hey Zuri!
    Your explanation of what happened on Design Day and what the investigations taught you is very thorough and well explained. You could make some of your general explanations a bit more succinct to shorten it and make it more straight to the point.

Very well done! 🙂