Home Sweet Home!,Music,MYP,The Write Stuff

8 Bar Rhythm (Composition Formative)

20 Feb , 2017  

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.18.23 AM

In this task, we need to create a rhythm that is 8 bars long with two four-bar phrases. I use two slurs to indicate each phrase and make it really obvious to identify the two phrases. To make it even more obvious to spot the two phrases, the two phrases end with a long note. The first phrase ends with a half note (longest note value in the entire rhythm) and the second phrase ends with two quarter notes tied together and a fermata on the last note. The two phrases are balanced rhythmically and they also have an equivalent amount of short notes and long notes. The first measure of both phrases is  exactly the same. Since I want more of a variety yet sill maintain balance, I switch the order of bars 2 and 3 for the second phrase and making the two phrases end slightly different visually (but still sounding the same).

This task is quick and easy, but I have to make sure that this rhythm works before I transform these 8 bars into a melody, which is the next task that we need to do. One thing I might change is bars 4 and bars 8. These two bars are the endings of phrase one and two and they are quite different. I do not want phrase one and phrase two to be exactly the same, so I decide to change up the rhythm. However, I am unsure if I should change the rhythm up in the middle of each phrase and if either way will result in a complete sound.