Home Sweet Home!,Language and Literature,MYP,Uncategorized

Poetry Unit Reflecion

26 May , 2016  

In the previous English unit, we were learning about poetry. First, we learned about different poetic devices, then we identified poetic devices in works of poetry. Next, we analyzed poems and discussed the effect of the poetic devices used on the readers. Explaining how the poetic devices affected the reader’s feelings is one of the main focus of this unit.

The students had a chance to explore many famous and unique pieces. We also got to write a couple of poems as an individual and a group throughout this unit. My favorite poem that I read was Ode to Tomatoes by Pablo Neruda. There was a range of poetic devices used in the poem, such as oxymoron, enjambment, personification, and hyperbole. The topic about tomatoes was interesting and unexpected as well. For me, the most challenging part about reading poetry is understanding the symbolisms,  metaphors, similes and personifications. They are usually indirect and you often have to use the clues from the poem to help you figure out what they mean. I also find that after reading the poem a couple more times, everything becomes clearer. Writing poems were especially challenging for me in this unit because we had to use certain poetic devices in our different poems. In my opinion, poetry can inspire people differently. Of course, reading poetry can happen as an entertainment as well. The purpose of writing poems is to express feelings and tell a story. Reading poems can be an entertainment or enjoyment. A poem only uses short phrases (for most times) and poetic devices to help convey the message. Other works of literature can also express the author’s feelings, visual artworks also bring a mood or atmosphere when viewed.