Uncategorized

Service As Action 2018-2019

4 May , 2019  

1. How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

I became more aware of my strengths and areas for growth through working with the RESPECT club this year. When I taught or played with younger kids before, they would either be from Hong Kong local schools or CDNIS. I had rarely interacted under these conditions with refugees from places like Sri Lanka or the Philipines. Going to multiple RESPECT sessions taught me more about my strengths and weaknesses. For example, a major strength for me is bonding as I feel like I cooperate well with children. I know how to handle situations when they do not want to listen or do work, because I know how to appeal to their needs and desires, and because I have had experience with children before that allow me to know how to handle the situations. A weakness I also discovered was that I work better with outgoing children rather than those that are quiet because I feed off of their energy and it does not become my job to energize them and make them interested. Therefore, it would be beneficial to me to start learning ways to get shyer children to engage. 
2. How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

In my Lilypad sessions this year, I was in charge of taking care of two children at once. One of the kids posed multiple challenges as he would continuously try to be the class clown and make others laugh. I had to develop the skills of keeping him calm by asking him to do tasks to distract him and remind them of the importance of learning about the content. 
3. How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

Because I am on the Lilypad team, I had to discuss, evaluate and plan some of the lesson plans. We had to consider what activities were the most appropriate and accomplishable by the children due to their young age. For example, once we had to look at the books that may be suitable for them, such as the Magic School Bus book on the digestive system. We then had to plan and order a certain amount of books for the kids with the budget in mind. 
4. How did you persevere in action?

I persevered in action by staying even when the going got tough. Even though sometimes the children just wanted to play and not listen, or disobey me for the purpose of entertaining some of their peers. I had to learn to take deep breaths and handle the situation calmly in order to get through the lesson plan without boring them or denying them fun with their friends. 
5. How did you work collaboratively with others?

I worked collaboratively with others in Lilypad because for the second term, I had to work together with Adrian from grade 12. We had to share the books and have discussions with each other’s groups. This taught me more about teamwork and cooperation to get the kids to work together civilly, which is especially hard when it involves sharing books as they constantly wanted to read different pages. I also worked with others in Lilypad because we operate as a team with different sectors, where each sector had different tasks to accomplish. 
6. How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism, and intercultural understanding?

In the RESPECT sessions, I was globally engaged because I became more aware of refugees in Hong Kong and how they live. I was also involved in multilingualism because I spoke English however sometimes the children did not understand and spoke with their native tongue. I also became more aware of cultures because I had only lived in Hong Kong my whole life and it was extremely eye-opening to see the cultures of people from Sri Lanka and the Philipines and more. I became more aware of the world around me and how different people live their lives. 
7. How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

I think all of my actions completed through this year’s service as action had ethical implications because I was helping others. Helping others that wanted or needed to learn for different purposes like getting a head start in school or securing a better job in the future as a migrant.