Waste Not, Want Not Evaluation

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 8.36.58 AMScreen Shot 2017-03-30 at 8.36.47 AMThis is the object that I packaged.

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.54.24 AM

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.54.12 AM
Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 11.07.10 AM

This is my final package.

How My Contribution Might Help My Target Audience

My target audience is mass producing manufacturers. My contribution may help mass producing manufacturers so that they don’t have to spend so much money on packaging that uses so many resources. Also, manufacturers can benefit if they mass produced environmentally friendly packaging that uses less materials, because more of their product can fit on shelves. This contribution also helps by inspiring others to follow in my footsteps and start creating packaging with a minimal environmental footprint, while still looking aesthetically pleasing to sustain our environment.

Limitations and Benefits

A limitation of my packaging is that it uses some adhesive. However, this adhesive is not used to put the packaging together, and is only used to stick the clear plastic onto the package to make it more aesthetically pleasing. The benefits of my packaging is that it is sturdy and protective of the calculator (since it’s an electronic) because of how there are 2 layers of card stock. Secondly, all the extra materials used to create the box was made from recycled materials. The clear plastic I found was reused to be put onto my packaging. Lastly, my package is self supporting. It does not need the use of adhesive to be put together, using less materials, and only needs some tabs and slots to be put into it’s rectangular prism shape.

Mathematical and Design Knowledge/Skills

Some mathematical knowledge that I had to recall was how to calculate surface area, volume, area of rectangles, and area of circles. The only aspect of my packaging that made my calculations more challenging was the window. This is because the sides of the window are rounded, and are shaped like a quarter of a circle. There are 4 “quarter circles” which creates 1 perfect circle, and it is where I had to recall how to calculate the area of circles. The design knowledge that I had to have was how I applied the CARP design principles into my package, and a skill that I always had to do was to reflect. I always had to reflect on the stages of my packaging to show how I could improve my packaging, what I did well, and to demonstrate what I had changed. I also had to take pictures of my work and describe what technical skill I was demonstrating (measuring, cutting, folding, etc.)

Disciplinary and Interdisciplinary Approach

I think that the interdisciplinary approach to this project was helpful. This is because this project allowed me to think of the design of a package, which was mostly about the creation of the package itself, while also thinking about the mathematics and calculations behind it. It was helpful to blend design and math together because without having the math aspect behind our package, it would not be able to function well (tabs are off and won’t go into slots, different sizes that are supposed to be the same, etc). However, without the design aspect, the package would not be aesthetically pleasing, and technical skills would not be evident (cutting, folding, measuring, etc).

How Would You Approach the Project Differently if You Had to do it Again?

If I had to do this project again, I do not think I would approach the project differently because everything in creating a package is design and math. I don’t think any other subject could be part of this project, unless the package had to be informational.