Music – March Reflection

1.  Explain how you believe you are progressing on your instrument so far this year.

I think that I have progressed a lot from the beginning of the year because I am finding that I am not looking at the back of the music book as often to see what the fingering is for a certain note. I also think I have progressed a lot since the beginning of the year because I have gotten used to playing faster rhythms accurately. Although I am better at rhythms compared to the beginning of the year, I think I still need some improvement in this area. I think that I have progressed because the difficulty of the music has increased so I have been practicing more.

2.  Explain specifically what you are currently doing to improve your level of skill.

Currently, I am trying to practice at least 30 minutes a week to try and improve these skills. Before, I did a maximum of 15-20 minutes a week, but I think I need to increase my practice time because I am often finding that I am not playing the correct notes and not good at sight reading.

3.  How often do you practice?

I practice 3 times a week for at least 10 minutes. Sometimes if I think I am behind I will practice more, and if I think that I am comfortable playing the songs I won’t practice as much.

4.  Which of these are you most successful at: note accuracy, rhythm accuracy, articulation, dynamics, tone quality, breathing/phrasing?

I think that I am most successful at breathing/phrasing, tone quality,  and rhythm accuracy.

5. Which of these are you the least successful: note accuracy, rhythm accuracy, articulation, dynamics, tone quality, breathing/phrasing?

I think I am least successful at note accuracy,  articulation, and dynamics.

6.  What can you do to improve as a musician?

I think I need to practice better and longer because whenever I practice, I only go through the song once even if I made mistakes, and only practice scales even though I am already familiar with them. I also think I regularly rush through my practicing time, so I should find days where I have more time to practice therefore I can stop rushing and make sure that I will actually benefit from practicing.