8 Bar Melody Final

by Michael on February 8, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 7.51.26 am

Comments

Jonax: I felt that your piece was built really nicely as the flow of the melody was smooth and the accompaniment of the piano helped to support the main melody. The only part that I think needs work is the high A in the 4th bar as it sounded out of place. Other than that, good job!

Fred Fong: Great melody and perfect use of the variety of notes to make the song flow nicely together. I think some things you could have changed were some chord variations as they were relatively the same but the melody was really good. Overall good use of dynamics and great work.

Mr. O’Toole: Watch the bars 3 and 4 – the melody is a bit jumpy. I like the syncopation and sequence in bar 5.

Addressing the Comments

Most of the comments I received from my peers are positive, such as how the melody flowed very nicely and how the accompaniment suited the melody very well. There were two comments that addressed the jumpy melody amongst the 3rd and 4th bar, so I changed the last sequences on bar 3 to go down instead of up. I think this was a good change as I can start to hear it flow better than how it was before. I chose not to change the high A at the 4th bar, simply because I thought it sounded good and fit the piece quite well. The song started off with a bit of a jumpy melody, so why not continue the theme throughout the rest of the song. Mr. O’Toole said he liked the syncopation and sequence in bar 5, so I decided to keep that how it is and hopefully use it later in the song.

I haven’t changed much from the draft because I spent most of my time on it and made it the best I can. Now I can’t find much to change as I think it sounds good. I explained most of the choices I made in the reflection on the draft.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Ricky February 8, 2017 at 8:26 am

I liked how your piano harmony was diverse and not just chords. I also liked the dynamics and the memorable melody.

063755 February 8, 2017 at 8:25 am

I really like your melody, phrase 1 and 2 works well together nicely. The use of slurs makes your piece flow much better. Remember to include the chord progression at the end of the phrases!

053472 February 8, 2017 at 8:25 am

The melody and the accompaniments worked really well and there was quite good variety in the chords on the right and left hand, Also nice use of dynamics

Ethan W. February 8, 2017 at 8:25 am

I like how you have interesting chord variation for the LH of the piano which makes your piece unique and creative. I feel that you can have more note variation as you only have quavers, crotchets, and minums.

053487 February 8, 2017 at 8:25 am

The accompaniment and sax melody in your composition works extremely well together. I think you could improve the link between the first phrase and second phrase. Overall, good job!
– Sze Ching

Jonax February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

I think that your piece was done nicely as the melody progression was really nice. There are some large jumps between notes in your piece where you could fix as they seem quite sudden and can break the flow.

Tiffany Tsui February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

I can hear the repetition in the melody, which makes it memorable, but the chords sometimes overpower your melody. I also liked your rhythm in the second half, which gives it a different sort of feel than the first.

Mikayla February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

You can add a title to your song. I like the repetition of some notes because it enhanced your song. You can add more dynamics too.

063773 February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

Michael you should first change the tittle. I really like how the melody went smoothly. Maybe you should add more dynamics or maybe some articulation, this will help you increase the colours of the music.

063771 February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

I like how your piece of music sounded overall. The melody is also very interesting, as it consists of eighth notes and quarter notes that are next to each other. However, I think that there might be a bit too much 8th notes being used, so try to have a variety of notes.

110075 February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

Great melody, you have the two notes at the bottom with the piano that adds to the piece and changes up the variety without making too much of a change in the tenor sax part. Good dynamics and good use of chords and it really makes the piece shine. But I think there should be capitalization on the use of half notes and pauses to really make the piece pop. Overall you have done a good job.

Natalie February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

I really like your melody because it is simple and memorable. Your use of syncopation is very unique and it works well with your chords.

Jack February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

– good repetition
– title
– most part is connected
– good dynamic

Jodi Lee February 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

I really like the syncopation throughout the melody. I would suggest to have your piano accompaniment in “piano” or just have it softer, because it is overpowering your melody. Good job!