8 Bar Melody Draft

by Michael on January 20, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 8.13.33 am

This is my 8 bar melody draft, feel free to comment!

Phrasing

I had a clear separation between the two phrases, I ended the first phrase on an imperfect cadence (I-V) and the second phrase with a perfect cadence (V-I). I also ended the phrases with a half note to signify that that was the end of the phrase. I think I kept this very rhythmically and melodically balanced, as they are not exactly the same but they still have some sort of connection. I had the syncopation in the first bar of both phrases, and the rest of the phrase consisting of eighth notes and a half note to end. Phrasing is something that I don’t find hard, as it’s just following a certain pattern and rules.

Accompaniment

I first started off creating the melody line instead of the chords, as I was quite stuck and didn’t know what chords to use. I also found it harder to create a melody that matches with the chords rather than creating chords that match with the melody. The right hand accompaniment would just be two chords, while the left hand is a mixture of chords and a bass melody to create harmony with the tenor sax. I based the chord inversion on what I think would sound good with the tenor sax melody. I also made it so the chords will go in the same pitch as the tenor sax melody, matching lower notes with lower chords. Since I play the harp, i’ve played many types of accompaniment before and could use that knowledge in this composition.

Chord Progression

I did research some common chord progressions used in music, and found some such as I-IV-V-I, but I found it hard to incorporate that into my composition. I ended up not following a specific chord progression, but there are some reasonable ones that sound decent, like I-IV-ii-V. I had a problem not having the same chords right next to each other, such as the two I chords next to each other towards the end of the first phrase, so that is something I would change. The first chord on the 7th bar is a iii, which isn’t what I was intending as it was supposed to be a I or V, but they both wouldn’t work as they would be repeating chords, so I put iii instead as it’s the next best thing. I think that chord progression is something that I need to improve on.

{ 5 comments… read them below or add one }

liamotoole January 24, 2017 at 8:23 am

Watch the bars 3 and 4 – the melody is a bit jumpy. I like the syncopation and sequence in bar 5.

Jonax January 24, 2017 at 8:12 am

I felt that your piece was built really nicely as the flow of the melody was smooth and the accompaniment of the piano helped to support the main melody. The only part that I think needs work is the high A in the 4th bar as it sounded out of place. Other than that, good job!

084369 January 24, 2017 at 8:12 am

I really like how your piece consist of a variety of notes making it rhythmically and melodically balanced. I also like how you had a beat tempo creating a happy mood and how the change in dynamics made the piece come all together.

053465 January 20, 2017 at 10:41 am

Agreed, the melody is beast and goes perfectly with the dynamics and articulation. Although your chords do not follow a particular order, they still accompany the melody well.

110075 January 20, 2017 at 9:55 am

Great melody and perfect use of the variety of notes to make the song flow nicely together. I think some things you could have changed were some chord variations as they were relatively the same but the melody was really good. Overall good use of dynamics and great work.