Grade 10 is the last year of the MYP Design project, and today, we had our first Design project of the year. This Design project is joint with Science, and we have to create a model of a valve in a heart, and so our Design Day was based around that and creating a prototype of a valve, which we then tested if it worked with water.
My group’s prototype was a design that we came up with when we were discussing who’s design to use. An image can be seen below (though rotated) –
Our prototype consisted of six materials – a ping pong ball, a plastic sheets, tape, hot glue, rubber band and a PVC pipe. I think that the most efficient element in my prototype was the combination of a rubber band and tying it to the plastic sheet that was shaped as a funnel. This created the ‘one-way’ valve effect which made our design successful. The criteria that we had to keep in mind was simple: water must be able to only go one way. So, when we poured water into the ‘open’ end of our first prototype, the water went in swiftly like intended, and when we turned it around, the water flowed down the sides and there was no water on the inside of the plastic tube.
My key takeaways from today’s Design Day can be seen in the video below:
As for what I would do if I could do it all again – I would most likely clarify my ideas and try to be more creative with my designs, as I forgot to consider some of the major ‘must-haves’ in my design, for example the ‘one way’ component of the valve. I also think that I could have been more creative as my final prototype draft design wasn’t very clear and the design would be very difficult to create as it had so many parts. I would have tried to make it more minimalistic but more efficient.
What I learnt from today’s Design Day was essentially more information on the actual project, what is expected of us and most of all – how to create an actual model and what to consider in order to have a functioning and interactive model with simple materials.