Grade 10 Service As Action

by 042690 on May 10, 2017

I completed my service as action where I organised a cricket program for underprivileged students at a local school and taught the students how to play cricket. This was also my MYP personal project.

How did you become more aware of your own strengths and areas for growth?

I grew through this service as I was able to become a better communicator in Mandarin as I had to communicate with the students in Mandarin. My collaboration skills also improved as I had to work with many people to get the project to move past different stages and also had to work with many people to coordinate the timing of certain things. One area of growth is my organisation skills because I spent lots of time doing things last minute because I wasn’t organised and did not really have a clear plan of exactly what I wanted to do which resulted in lots of improvisation.

How did you undertake challenges that developed new skills?

This project was tough for me because the students at the school did not speak any English meaning that I had to use Mandarin, my second language, when communication with the students at all times. This has allowed me to develop my Mandarin skills as I was able to apply what I had learnt in the classroom to the real world and learn from mistakes that I would make during speaking. Another challenge was setting up the whole program which involved working with a lot of people and through this I was able to develop my communication and collaboration skills.

How did you discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities?

Because this was my personal project, I planned and executed everything in this project. I had to spend time coming up with a plan for drills that would be appropriate for the students and had to take into account their age and their skill level while planning the whole project. I also had to evaluate the project and did so by gathering feedback from the students on different things as the project went by.

How did you persevere in action?

I persevered by resisting the urge to use a translator and continually speaking Mandarin students so that I was able to see what I was doing wrong and learn from my mistakes. Though it was not easy communicating with the students, I persevered by continually trying to communicate and eventually things got easier when I got the hang of things.

How did you work collaboratively with others?

I had to work collaboratively with the Hong Kong Cricket Club when planning how the sessions were to go and how I would transfer the equipment to and from the school and I also had to work collaboratively with the students when teaching them new things. I also had to work with the HKCC coordinating the extra sessions for the students and getting special membership for the four students who were picked to join the HKCC Junior Gappers programme from the start of the 2017/18 season.

How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

I developed international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding by communicating in Mandarin with the students. I appreciated how the seemingly insignificant things that I had learnt in the classroom in Chinese class could be transferred to a real life context. I also learnt how speaking Mandarin with someone who speaks Mandarin as their native tongue is not easy. Especially as I am not Chinese, communicating with them and understanding what they were saying was not always easy.  I also developed international-mindedness by realising that there were some common hand gestures that were universally known and I could use non-verbal communication at times with the kids to make things easier for myself.

How have you considered the ethical implications of your actions?

I do need to take into account that I did this as part of my personal project which may not make this the most “ethical” project. However, I do think I left a good impact on the students. Furthermore, because I did not want this project to be a one-off thing, I made arrangements with the club by j to have four students continue to play by getting a special membership at the club and taking part in the HKCC junior Gappers program from next season.

I wasn’t able to take many photos because of security reasons but here are some of the photos I did manage to take:

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 10.11.24 AM Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 10.12.28 AM Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 10.14.04 AM Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 10.18.55 AM Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 10.20.37 AM

{ 0 comments… add one now }