ENGLISH 7: “All Summer in a Day” Film Response

by Karen Carmen on November 24, 2011

Please watch the following three 10 minute clips and compare and contrast the story with the film version.

Part I

YouTube Preview Image

Part II

YouTube Preview Image

Part III

YouTube Preview Image

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

Yu Xin November 29, 2011 at 8:20 am

All Summer in a Day Response

The film is somewhat like the story but had some parts that weren’t mentioned from the story. In my own opinion, the story was more interesting than the film because it made you think more and use your own imagination of how it would look like. For example, “ They surged about her, caught her up and bore her, protesting, and then pleading, and then crying, back into a tunnel, a room, a closet, where they slammed and locked the door.

In this film, there is some differences and similarities. Here are some examples of the differences between the film and the story: In the film, Mary (the girl who talked with Margot), she was not mentioned in the story and the story never showed or talked about Margot’s picture of her home in Ohio. Also in the story, it never said anything about the Sun Protection kit and that Margot chased it in the closet which got shut close by William. In the story, it only says William saying the sun isn’t going to come out and then they pull her to the closet. One of the main difference between the story and the film was the film didn’t just end when they opened the door to let Margot out. Instead it kept going and they give flowers and Margot forgives William. In the story, it ended when the opened the door to let Margot out. Another really important thing was that it didn’t mention anything about the raindrop in one of the girls hand.

Here are the following similarities: The film and the story had the same setting and plot. Also, the film started with rain and same with the story and the sunlamps. Further more, it mentioned that there was a window that they looked through to see the outside world and how the sun looked like when it was described in the story. Also when they are really surprised and excited about the sun coming out and as the run around.

Overall, I think the story is probably better than the film but it was still worth watching. I have enjoyed watching the film and hope there was more videos to watch in the future so we can compare the story to the film/movie/video.

Reply

Emma November 29, 2011 at 8:15 am

The short story and the film of “All Summer in a Day” are different from each other, I think that the short story is better than the video version.

Comparing the short story to the film, I think the visual imagery was better in the short story. Such as when, in the story, it described the jungle that covered Venus, and Margot. The metaphors helped me picture the scenes in my mind. But when I was reading the short story, I most enjoyed the paragraphs about the sun. Especially when Ray Bradbury said “She knew they thought they remembered a warmness, like a blushing in the face, in the body, in the arms and legs, and trembling hands.”. When I read this, I didn’t just picture it in my mind, it was like a felt the warmth from the sun right there, right then.

In the short story, Margot stands alone, but in the film she seems to have one friend. The ending for the film was also different from the short story. The short story ends when they let Margot out of the closet, but didn’t include what happened next, while the film did.

Emma
Canadian International School of Hong Kong
sites.cdnis.edu.hk/students/090228/

Reply

Nicholas C November 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

There were many differences. The school was not underground, the rain was not hard at all, the grass was green, they were allowed to play outside when it was raining, they needed sun kits, the sun came out every 9 years instead of 7, and Margot got locked in the closet because she wanted her sun kit back from William. I think there were these differences because they were filming it in real life and they couldn’t make the grass the colour of the moon. They wouldn’t be able to moderate the rain and it would be expected that they needed sun kits.

The similarities were that the main plot was the same. There was a same basic plot line where the children were anticipating the sun, Margot got locked in a closet, the children ran out and played in the sun and they released Margot.

Reply

Andrew November 28, 2011 at 11:11 am

There are many differences between the written version and the video.

Simalarities:
The main Plot- The video version is similar to the written version, as the plot is mainly the same and about what happened.

Differences:
-They said 9 years, instead of seven.
-It wasn’t raining heavily, as Margot was out in the rain but in the story the rain was described as more powerful.
-There were flowers to pick and the grass and trees were green, where in the story it was said to be colourless or beige because of the lack of sun.
-The teacher was in the story more in the video, as she was more involved in the incident.
-More of the children are helpful expecially Paula.
-The ending is different, the children help Margot by giving her flowers and then Margot comforted William who was feeling very bad and sorry.

Reply

Ines November 28, 2011 at 11:08 am

Differences:
They were playing soccer with a can.
Everyone besides Margot was using the sunlamp.
The students were talking to the teacher between a TV.
They were drawing about the sun.
William is jealous of Margot.
The students were given a kit to be prepared for the sun but it didn’t come out at first then the rain stopped.
The kids were playing/ fooling around with Margot and tossed the sun kit around then locked her in a room with the sun kit as bait.
The teacher went outside afterwards and the sun just came out.
Margot felt the sun just by a bit in the room.
The children were taking as many flowers as they can.
William came and unlocked Margot from the room and everyone was waiting outside.
Margot went in the rain and was crying.
Everyone came out with they’re flowers.
Everyone except William gave Margot they’re flowers.
William was crying because he felt bad.
Margot took the flower from William and went with him back to the cave.

Similarities:
They were using sun lamps.
They were having class Margot wrote the poem.
They were under caves.
They realized Margot was missing.

Reply

Adrian November 28, 2011 at 11:01 am

1. It’s not underground
2. The sun hasn’t come out in 9 years, not 7
3. There were extra bits of the poem
4. There was a painting scene
5. The sun didn’t come out in the first time
6. One classmate is nice
7. Margot doesn’t really wish to go back at first
8. The trees are green
9. It’s not closet but room with window in it
10. There’s a resolution! William is actually sorry
11. Margot forgives William

Reply

Brandon C. November 28, 2011 at 10:41 am

The similarities was that Margot was also left out of all the games, and al the fun they had; she was locked in a closet; they had sun lamps.

The differences was that they played soccer with a can, and the sun only came out 9 years ago for only one hour; Margot was let out in the end, and when Margot had to leave, they all gave her a flower; they had to wear a kit to go out, and then Margot’s was hidden, and she gets locked when she goes looking for it.

Reply

Tomoka November 28, 2011 at 8:44 am

The difference between the story and the movie is, num 1 Margot talks a lot in the movie more than the story and I thought that William would be a big character, but when I watched the movie he wasn’t as strong as the one in the story,

If I compare the story and the movie, I’d prefer the story better because I found it more interesting to read it. I really loved the author in the book used so many smilies/metaphor.

Reply

Sam November 28, 2011 at 7:38 am

I think that this movie is very different from the original story. It is because there are a lot of differences in the movie. Some of the differences are them playing soccer in the rain, going into the amber-lamps, getting sun kits, etc. Also, in the movie, they even extended the ending! Even though the movie is very different from the short story, I would prefer the movie. The reason why is because the story could be understood in a direct way.

Reply

Nathan November 27, 2011 at 11:50 pm

The story and the movie are very different because in the story it described all the objects with metaphors and similes. The movie was very broad and unclear at some parts like when they were all running in the rain at the beginning. The characters in the movie were very different compared to the ones in the story because, for example the girl that helped Margot and didn’t like William. There were some parts that were added in like them with their sun kits and they said that the sun comes every 7 years in the movie but in the story it said 8 years, the time of how long the sun was out was also different from the story like 1 hour in the story and 2 in the story. The movie also contrasted a lot of things like the parts when they were running when the sun was out all the flowers and grass was all out. The movie also lacked a lot of parts like them all hating Margot.

Reply

Avatar of Karen Carmen Karen Carmen November 28, 2011 at 11:04 am

Nathan! Do your homework earlier, PLEASE! You should be writing a response at midnight – particularly when you’ve had over three days to finish it!

Reply

Nick L November 27, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Similarities:
1. The characteristics of the characters
———————————————————————————————
Differences:
1. The setting was described differently and it wasn’t the way I thought it would be
2. Characters
3. New dialogues that were not mentioned in the story
4. I thought the school was underground
5. At the end, the kids brought flowers to Margot
6. In the short story, they did not mention about Margot’s small farm in the vent
7. In the story, after Margot was left in the closet, the author left her out of the story until the end
8. The story did not explain what happened to Margot before she got into the closet
9. The story never said that the kids were outside in the beginning
10. They never played “soccer” with the can according to the short story
11. Before going out in the sun, the story never mentioned that the students had to prepare by putting on sun screen and their sun visors
12. I thought the sun lamps were little lamps but in the movie it was a big light shining on the students
13. The students did a painting in the movie
14. There was not a ending to the story

———————————————————————————————
Personal Opinion:
– I think the last part when the students were giving Margot the flowers, it looked and sounded like a funeral for a living person…

Reply

Justin T. November 27, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I believe that the film is better because it shows me what is exactly happening, while the story may sometimes leave out some blanks so you will have to guess what is really happening.

The similarities are: Margot was always left out of the games; people stuck up for William; William was stubborn, always believing that Margot does not remember the sun when Margot does; they lock Margot up and forget her and they go under the lamp to get “sunlight”.

The differences between the film and the story are: they play football with a can; it has been 9 years since the sun came out, not 7; the sun only came up for an hour, not 2; they drew paintings on how they believe the sun looks; the teacher favors Margot; there was a person who was nice to Margot; the teacher was with the kids more than half the time; they needed to wear their sun kits in the movie; William hides Margot’s kit in a room; then when Margot goes looking for it, she gets locked in. While the sun was leaving, they collected as many flowers as they could, William felt sad that he forgot about Margot, William went to the room by himself and let Margot out. Then Margot leaves the school to see if the sun was still out, then she cries. The students felt sad for Margot and gave all the flower they collected to Margot.

Reply

Isabelle November 27, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I really enjoyed the movie, and the way it showed the different perspectives of the different characters. But I enjoyed the actual story much more, because it built suspense through out the whole story, especially at the end, where it left you thinking about what was going to happen next?. I think the movie gave away to quickly what happened after she comes out of the closet. And didn’t give me as exited or intense of a feeling, like the one I got when reading the story.

Something I preferred in the story, in comparison to the movie, was Margot’s personality. I liked her personality in the story, where she was shy and a lot more quiet. Unlike the movie where she seemed a lot more outgoing, and not that shy or quiet.

I found it strange how in the actual story the teacher isn’t mentioned very much. Unlike in the movie, where she plays a fairly large role. In the story she doesn’t give much of a perspective on the sun coming out, nor does she show any liking to Margot. But in the movie she shows those opinions and feelings. Also like the children/classmates, who in the story don’t have much of a say in what’s going on. But in the movie, they all have their own opinions. And some even had a liking to Margot, which was slightly confusing.

In general I found the story better, and still have that feeling of a want to find out what really happened next in the actual story.

Reply

Caitlin November 27, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I enjoyed the short story much more then the movie. I found that the story gave suspense in the way it ended abruptly and left you thinking “What happened next” but the movie showed what happened afterwards and I felt it took away some of the feeling from the story. Also I always imagined Margot to come out of the closet the same as before shy and quiet. But in the movie she seems kind of mean taking all the other children’s flowers. Also I never imagined that the children would be allowed outside in the rain and that it would be raining much harder then in the movie. The teacher is also around more in the movie then in the story and seems to favor Margot so when Margot got locked in the closet I kind got annoyed that she suddenly forgot about her. Also the way all the other children but William like her seems so confusing to me especially when she gets put in the closet. I like how she has one goot friend though, but it took some of the sadness I felt in the story from her in the movie.

Reply

Mya M November 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I really like the short film but I think they should have made it more like the story because there were alot of things that didn’t happen in the book but happened in the film.
A few things that were different were:
In the story the teacher wasn’t there for most of it but she was in the film, they didn’t have ‘sun packs’ and you don’t read what happens when margot comes out of the closet.

Overall I really liked it!

Reply

Janice November 27, 2011 at 4:11 pm

All Summer in a Day. The movie, represents William and Margot and how they always fight and, how William bullies her. The background students try to be nice, and try to help her out. William stops them and ask them to enter his own world of bullying.

Margot lives with the fake sun that shines on her, but waits for the real sun to come out. In the book, they described her shy then strong at the end. The movie, seemed very different. She doesn’t seem stronger at the end.

Even though, the movie had videos of the trees and how grey it was.
When I read the story, I can picture it in my head vividly. The author described it perfectly as it sets the scene in the readers mind.

I liked the book more. It had a lot of specific description, it really brings me in to a new world.

Reply

Desmond November 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Between the movie and the story, there are many differences. For example, in the movie, there was a part in the lamps, but in the written story, it didn’t mention about it. Then, when Margot said her poem in the movie, the boys didn’t shout out, “Oh you didn’t write that!”

The written story didn’t have all the dialogue inside the movie. The written story didn’t mention putting on the kit and sunscreen. The movie added a lot of details which the written story didn’t have. The movie showed flowers and trees, but the written story said that they all died.

The movie doesn’t really agree with the written story because half of it is opposite. I personally think that the written story was better than this movie because on the story, there was tension and more adjectives, also metaphors, but in this movie, I didn’t feel any tension.

Reply

Sabrina R. : ) November 27, 2011 at 1:20 pm

In the video version of “All Summer in a Day” Margot is more outgoing, she speaks more and she is not as scared and frail as Ray Bradbury describes her to be. Also, in the short story, no one is friends with Margot and everyone follows what William says. However, in the film version, it is in fact the opposite. Paula is a friend of Margot’s and the smart boy doesn’t always agree with William. Also, the director of the All Summer in a Day film decided to add more exaggeration into the amount that William bullies Margot. William teases Margot more by telling her that the sun won;t be coming out, instead of just pushing her.

I also think that the setting of the movie is much more depressing than how Ray Bradbury had described it. I think that the set and music were too intense, it made me feel very uncomfortable and I didn’t want to continue watching.

The movie version’s plot line is very obscure, it does not seem logical that Margot would take the flowers from William and that he would not do something about it.

I think that the biggest difference between the film version and the short story version of “All Summer in a Day” is that one is a melodrama and the other one is a tragedy. The film version has a somewhat happy ending, the children give Margot the flowers they collected while the sun was out, that is why it is a melodrama. The short story version is a tragedy because it has no happy ending, Margot is let out of the closet after the sun vanishes and she must wait another 7 years.

Overall, I think that the short story version is much better because it is not as depressing and intense and the plot seems more likely.

Reply

Darren November 27, 2011 at 10:46 am

After watching this video, I understand the story a lot more. But I noticed that the film has somethings different from the original version, which is the story by Ray Bradbury. Ray Bradbury only written until the part where Margot gets freed, but he didn’t mention anything about the class giving flowers to her? Also, Margot seems to be out of character, because when I read the story, I felt that Margot isn’t such an energetic character. She is more quiet. Also, in the story, no one’s names were mentioned except for William and Margot. But in the film, everyone had names.

Reply

Kaya November 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Something that confused me about the movie was that the teacher said that it had not rained for 9 years, but in the story it says that it rains every 7 years.

A Margot’s poem is different from the one in the movie. I think that the movie version of the poem is better because it says more bout the sun. Also, after Margot reads her poem William does not say anything to criticize her, but he did in the story. It would have been better, in my opinion, if he had because it would have described his character more.

In the story it feels like the teacher is not part of the story mostly, and only mentioned at some parts briefly. In the movie the teacher plays a bigger part in the beginning. I think that she should not have played such a big part in the beginning because she did not play a big part in the ending of the story.

The end of the movie is also longer, and William ends up changing into a dynamic character, because he becomes nice to Margot and he regrets what he did. This does not happen in the book. In the book it only describes how the children feel after finishing out they left Margot in the closet.

Reply

Nicole November 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm

The movie was a little bit different from the short story. There were changes in mood, the ending, and characterization.

In the movie, William is a round and dynamic character. Not only do we know his mean side, when he locked Margot up in the closet, we now know his regretful side when he was crying when Margot rejected his flowers. We are aware that he feels really bad for his actions, in fact he felt so bad he was avoiding Margot when everyone gave her their flowers.

Margot isn’t as left out in the movie compared to in the short story. In the movie only William is the only one who is treating her like dirt, whereas the others are either friends with her or pressured by William. For an example whenever William says, “Right Michael?” in a harsh tone, it seems that Michael is always pressured by him and afraid he will be bullied if he doesn’t follow.

Since the ending was changed it didn’t create the mysterious, empathetic feeling, more rather it made us relieved that she’s okay and forgiving. Also the ending showed more characterization, that she was a forgiving person and she really started to fit in especially when she received the flowers from her classmates.

There was a change in mood at the beginning part when it showed the rain pouring down. It made me feel gloomy and a little bit annoyed at the sight of the rainfall. Also when they were outside playing with the can it didn’t seem to match because usually kids kicking around a can, is very exciting and fun but since there was rainfall the mood was completely mixed up.

I liked the short story version better because it has more of a dramatic effect because you can’t expect what happens next. Whereas watching the movie, you could tell what is going to happen since the hints were so obvious.

Reply

Avatar of Karen Carmen Karen Carmen November 28, 2011 at 11:06 am

Excellent response, Nicole! Great insight into the change in William’s characterization!

Reply

Ludo T November 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

‘All Summer in a Day’

Part 1
This part is quite different to the short story. In the beginning, the children are playing soccer in the rain. In the story the children do not go outside until the sun comes out. Then the children are under the sun lamps. In the book you do not see the sun lamps. Also afterward you see the teacher who, in the book is a static and flat character. At the end of the first clip, when Margot is trying to look outside but doesn’t have a window, one of the girls offers her a window. Whereas in the short story, she is shunned by the other.

Part 2
At the beginning the teacher has given all the students sun-kits and none of this happens in the book. Also Paula is kind to Margot and interested about her memories of the sun. Instead of the students pushing Margot into the closet, William lures her in with her sun kit. Then the other students apart from the clever one, protest and don’t like the idea.

Part 3
In the short story Venus is barren and colourless, but in the film Venus is covered in plants, flowers and even has butterflies. Also when the students realise that Margot is not with them, all of them feel upset about what they have done, even William. William tries to make Margot feel better. This is not related to the book as it was not in the plot-line.

I liked the film and liked that the film makers sort of finished off the short story because we were left on a cliffhanger. Also I liked that William was very snobby and taunted Margot a lot, more than in the book. This made it stronger when he was crying in the end.

Reply

Alex S. November 24, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I think that the movie version of the short story is OK, I did not like how they added a lot of extra things to it. The story ended with suspense, this one just ended a bit sad, I liked the suspense part instead of the sad part. They made William a bit different from the book and added a lot more things! In the book they also said that the flowers were all bleak and whitish, but here they were all normal. Either way I thought it was OK.

Reply

Zehra J :) November 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm

The movie was very different from the book. The part where Margot gets to see a streak of the sun is so unexpected, she also has a friend in the movie and other people who stick up for her. The conclusion in the movie is resolved and is a happy ending with Margot being best friends with the whole class including William, she also forgives William. In the book no one sticks up for her, we don’t see what happens to Margot after they open the door.She has no friends. She never gets to see any part of the sun.

Reply