Celebrating the Arts and Questioning Power

by Donald MacPherson on May 10, 2013

Another fantastic week done and dusted as we enter the final stretch towards summer break. This week we celebrated our annual Lower School Festival of the Arts. The HK Ballet performed for us on Wednesday and it was fantastic! On Thursday, 6C had the opportunity to share their musical talent during their Spotlight. I heard several compliments from teachers, students and parents. Simply put: they were awesome. Again, I find myself in awe and filled with pride with this group of amazing children.

This week also saw us kicking off our final unit, Sharing the Planet, in which we are investigating the central idea “The use of power has consequences that affect relationships and access to opportunities.” We conducted an interesting experiment on Monday using power relationships. Be sure to ask you child about it. Ask them what color was their sticker!

In Math, students continued revising their understandings of probability and chance and they finalized their project, introduced by Ms. Manson last week.

Looking for the creative ways 6C students presented their responses to the Math problem of the week? Check them out here.

Looking forward:

Please refer to a message to all Grade 6 parents in the Lower School section of the Flash about  our end-of-year Celebration here. Action is required on your part.

Wednesday 15 May: Sports Day Assembly, 9:30-10:10 in the Alan Dick Forum

Friday 17 May: Public and School holiday. Enjoy the long weekend!

Grade 6C Spotlight

Champs of the Week

Max: Amazing percussion skills during the 6C Spotlight! Max has also shown tremendous commitment in developing his “Chance and Probability Gameboard. I look forward to playing your game Max!

Nicholas: An amazing solo of Rolling in the Deep during the 6C Spotlight! Truly amazing and I wish I had the skills to pull off something like that.

I leave you today with an inspiring teacher video, “Every Kid Needs a Champion”

{ 0 comments… add one now }