Happy New Year Lower School! Can you believe we’ve been at school for three weeks already! They have been busy ones!
It’s been a while since we’ve had a general update on what has been going on in PA for Grade 1, 2 and 3. Take a look below!
Grade 1 – Intro to Drama Unit – January-March 2018
Central Idea: People use the arts to communicate ideas, feelings and experiences
Lines of Inquiry:
- Adopting voice or emotion of a fictional character
- Listening and responding in role to other characters in role
- The responsibility of an audience member vs. a performer
In this unit students will learn about tools for an “actor’s toolbox” including actor’s neutral, projection, mime, and tableau. We learn that actor’s use these tools to communicate their emotions and stories. Ask your child about games like “Space Walk,” “Sock Monkey” or the story “Stone Soup.”
Students will build upon what they learn in this unit in their Arts Spotlight in May. Their Spotlight will feature work from dance, drama, music and (hopefully) visual arts. Stay tuned!
Grade 2 – Drama Unit on Characterization – January-March 2018
Central idea: We can use our voice and body as a means of expression.
Lines of Inquiry:
- The way body and voice can be used to depict a character through specific voice and body exercises and activities.
- Experiment and develop vocal control in the use of character voices, impersonations and accents
- Portray and sustain a character posture in a given situation
In this unit students will build on the work that they did in drama last year as part of their Spotlight and begin to look at how to use their voice, body and gestures to portray the role of a character. Through the vehicle of fairy and folk tales, students will not only embody a character as an actor, but also extend their thinking by changing well-known plot lines and outcomes. Ask your student about the Japanese folk tale “Momotaro-san”, soundscapes, “Good Evening Your Majesty” and “Hot seating.”
Grade 3 – How We Express Ourselves Transdisciplinary Work – November-March 2018
Central Idea: People can discover and express different cultures through the arts
Lines of inquiry:
- How culture can be expressed
- What influences the artistic expression in different cultures
This unit is our big Spotlight unit in Grade 3. Through our work in the classroom and PA, students will unpack world arts cultures from around the world. In PA, students will dig deep in the cultures of New Zealand, Peru and Canada. In March, students will present their work sharing what these art forms look like, but some universal understandings that we have discovered about music and dance around the world. Stay tuned!