HowTo: Make the Web Work for You
Did you know there’s a super quick and easy way to post reflections to your digital portfolio?
All you need is a SmartPhone and some special recipes to create a workflow.
Here’s the ingredient which need to be mixed in the order below:
- 1 x Instagram Account and App
- 1 x WordPress Account and App
- 1 x IFTTT Account and App
WARNING: You’ll be blown away when this flow is properly configured, so follow these steps carefully!
Step A: WordPress Portfolio
- Login to our school WordPress site on laptop
- Select an existing category or create a new one for your Instagram posts to be displayed
- Add this category to your sites primary menu
- Add the TagCloud Widget
Step B: Instagram
- Download the Instagram App [iOS] on your SmartPhone
- Create a new account using your school email and network password
- Check confirmation email
- Username = StudentNumber
- Set to Private Account
Step C: IFTTT
- Visit the [IFTTT website], create account on using your school email and network login
- Add the Service [Instagram] (input your user detail from step A above)
- Add the Service [Wordpress] (input your user detail from step A above)
- Add the Applet [Instagram tag to WordPress Category as Photo post] (Repeat this three times)
- Configure the Applet as desired:
– Instagram Tag (e.g. food/fitness/sleep)
– WordPress post Title (e.g. Eating Well)
– WordPress post Category (e.g. Health & Wellness)
– WordPress post Tags (e.g. food)
Once setup you’ll love the speed and ease with which you can share your learning in a visually attractive way. If you have a tweak or suggestion for taking this further please feel free to share below.
Optional: WordPress App
- Download the WordPress App [iOS] on your SmartPhone
- Select Add a Self Hosted site
- Input student ID, network password and site address minus http:// (e.g. sites.cdnis.edu.hk/students/160077)
- Using the WordPress Paste as Text feature (found in the editing toolbar) to copy and paste content from GDocs/Word will style your text properly based on your theme.
- Set calendar reminders to help you post regular updates.
- Edit posts and upload media on the go using the WordPress App.