Sri Lanka CAS Reflection

How did you persevere in action?

I think that through the action in Sri Lanka, which was building and refurbishing the houses of a school for underprivileged kids in Sri Lanka, I was able to really push through mentally. We were required to stay there for hours and hours of hard labour, but when I thought about the good that we were doing, I realised that this would change their lives completely while it was only a few hours of my life I had to sacrifice in order to contribute to something much greater than myself. I learned that it’s not always about me, but I need to think and compare how fortunate I am with others, because then I can truly weigh the importance of my needs versus the importance of others needs.

How did you develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding?

I think that through the experiences that I went through during this specific CAS trip, I have really developed international-mindedness through engaging with kids who even though are underprivileged, are happy. This made me understand that happiness can be gained in many forms and that you have to appreciate what you have and the people around you even if you are poor and have very little. This also made me understand a bit more about the impoverished lifestyle and how cruel it was, but still how appreciative they manage to be of what they have.

How did you consider the ethical implications of your actions?

I think that the fact that we as a school travelled all the way to Sri Lanka to support underprivileged kids was a very powerful message that we are constantly trying to make the world a better place through our actions. I think that in this trip, we were extremely respectful of the people who taught there and the children who learned at the school. We did not at all look down upon them, in fact I think I looked somewhat up to them because they were able to appreciate life despite not having much. This made me have tremendous respect for the people that lived there.