Music Cultimating Assignment – Crit B & Crit D Reflection – Sounds of CDNIS

Crit B Audio

Crit D Reflection

Describe the process of this assignment.

I had to go around the school to find at least 4 sounds and a teacher’s voice. When choosing the sounds, I had to make sure they had a type of beat to make it more aesthetically pleasing to the ear. Choosing efficient sound helped the process of adding in software instruments and different tracks. I prevented taking random sounds as they don’t accomodate my track as well as the sounds I’ve recorded. I also included a piano track, acoustic guitar track, and some drums. This helped improve the overall result as the sounds are able to create a lighter and smoother tone. I got the teacher’s voice from Mr.Schmalenburg saying “Run to the space!” as he’s a P.E. teacher. Plugins and distortion are also applied to every sound I recorded. Mostly, I changed the tone of the sound and added a bit of distortion. I changed Mr.Schmalenberg’s into a plugin named “Monster” which made Mr.Schmalenberg’s voice sound deep and creature like. I then combined all the sounds and voices into one long piece and took use of each advantage every sound provided me.

Discuss your CDNIS sounds and how useful they were for your end product.

Basketball Bouncing Twice : This sound is deep and echoed a bit. It helped create a beat sound which accommodated my final product as a beat drop. I mainly recorded this sound due to the possibility of a successful beat drop.

Locker handle turning : This helped create a cool and stretched sound effect which I distorted. This also helped my final product as it now consists of another cool distorted sound effect.

Toilet flushing : Though this sound isn’t appealing, it actually works really well with the rest of my tracks and instruments. The flushing creates this sizzling effect once I added distortion which helped create a sense of relaxation.

Scissors cutting into Air twice : This sound was sharp and clear which is almost opposite to the basketball sound. This sound may be used on beat drops or specific areas where tracks needed to have sharp and clear beats.

Mr.Schmalenberg’s Voice : I recorded Mr.Schmalenberg’s voice saying “Run to the space!” (with consent of course) Mr.Schmalenberg’s voice was changed into a monstrous voice which helped accommodate beat drops. An example is when I used his voice and did something like, “Ru-ru-ru-ru-ru-ru-ru RUN TO THE SPACE!” beat drop.

Every sound here has been applied into my final piece, whether in a beat drop or combined into a track.

Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired.

I’ve learned how to add in distortions and modify different sounds, instruments, and voices. I’ve also learned how to separate tracks because if I don’t, the edits I applied on one sound will be applied on the others. Another important thing I’ve learnt how to mute a track which may be useful when I want to listen to a separate track. I also learned drums and software instruments have to be put in specific tracks. They were not allowed to be put in random places as there can be only one same type of instrument. One last thoughtful skill I’ve learned is putting tracks on the right spot. Instructions were to always put tracks on the same beat in order to make sure the music is smooth and appealing to the ears.

What challenges did you face and overcome?

I had a hard time organizing my tracks as I am still inexperienced with Garageband. In return, it was a hard time finding my sounds and editing them. I also had a lot of trouble organizing it as they were already all over the place. I overcame this by taking my time and finding my sounds in order. I also fixed this by deleting unnecessary tracks that have no sounds. In the future, I will make sure to be more organized in adding sounds and modifying them.