FineArts Final Reflection Blogpost

How well did you communicate your experience as a Hong Konger? 
I think we communicated our experience well with the concept of Hong Kong getting controlled by the United Kingdom. I think the lines dividing the picture into eight parts was a good way to resemble the UK, and I think it was a unique and interesting concept. This way of communication might have helped the audience understand our intended concept more quicker and easier. Our concepts are shown pretty well, and they were not too direct for the audience to understand, because we wanted them to take some time to understand what our intention was. For the music, we decided to use a very relaxing piano song because our picture showed a very peaceful shape of Hong Kong, and I think it fit well with out visual artwork and I think it might have helped the audience understand our concept.
How would you describe your personal success as an interdisciplinary learner? 
We tried to use different techniques while we worked on our artwork, and also I think it was a good chance to learn and apply different skills at one project. We tried using concepts that we have learned from the previous classes we had, and I think it worked well with our artwork. We used midi tracks and drum tracks for our music which we have learned in music class, and we used color blending in our visual artwork, which I have used for my surrealism artwork. I think these combinations worked pretty well, and I think our poetry skills helped a bit by giving us what atmosphere and what kinds of concepts we could be using and applying them on our final artwork. Our artwork, poetry, music, and visual arts combined, showed a good harmony in my opinion, and I think it was a good chance to understand different techniques at once.
How would you describe benefits of the interdisciplinary unit with specific examples. 
I think we were able to show what we have learned throughout the unit. The mixture of music and visual arts was a challenge, because I have never tried making a song based on a visual or a literary subject. At first I thought I could try to make music based on our poems, but I felt like it would be very depressing because most of our poems were pessimistic. However, when we decided to draw our visual artwork, it looked a bit more calm and peaceful. I thought the theme of Hong Kong and the UK would turn out negative, but the idea of drawing things about Hong Kong in spaces between the lines of the UK flag, made the artwork much more positive. Therefore, I think my song turned out to work out very well, and I think it made the combination of music and visual arts much more better.
What were the limitations of the interdisciplinary unit? Give specific examples.
I think the limitations might have been the difference of the overall atmosphere of our visual artwork and our song. It is because even though our artwork turned out to have a positive look, our intention and our poems were a bit negative, and the song that I made was very peaceful, rather than negative. I knew it was a challenge to make a song based on a specific subject, and it was very difficult for me. While I was working on the music, I should have known that the song had to have at least a part negativity, but it only had optimistic feelings, and I could have improved it a bit. I think we could have done a good job if our music fit our concept, not only the look of our visual artwork.
___________________________________________________________________________
Communication of the interdisciplinary theme: Excellent
Personal success as a interdisciplinary learner: Substantial
Benefits of the interdisciplinary unit with specific examples: Substantial
Limitations of the interdisciplinary unit with specific examples: Substantial
 Self assess using the Crit. C rubric (question 1) : 7
Self assess using the Crit. D rubric (Question 2-4) : 5