Project Genesis Product and Reflection

Explain the step by step process of this assignment… *
The first step was deciding what to do for my project genesis after I’ve decided that I wanted to do mashups, I needed to do research. I searched up how to match beats and how to speed up and slow down songs. After all the necessary research had been done and I have a basic understanding of garage band’s mechanics, I found bpm calculators and youtube to mp3 converter. The hardest step was to find songs that matched the same bpm but also fitted in with my “different genres” aspiration. Most of my favourite songs (which are what I had in mind in the beginning) did not fit it together, whether it be a tempo problem or the fact that they just didn’t fit together well. After downloading the songs, while was confusing because the school blocked all the websites and I had to hotspot my computer and my phone, I had to edit them for them to fit better together, so like speeding up and slowing down songs and making them different pitches. And through the process of trial and error, and changing the songs to make them better fitted together, I slowly found something that I was proud of and was excited to show to friends and family. After I was done with my first draft, I showed Mr O’Toole and he gave me feedback, I tried my best to improve the song with the feedback and advice he gave.
Assess your success against your assessable criteria from your proposal… *
After looking back at the Crit A proposal, I realised that I have achieved my goals. I used 5 songs instead of 4 as I mentioned, and used a lot of plugins. Because my songs don’t fit that well together, I had to slow them up and down and sometimes even make them more high pitched. I originally wanted my song to be 2-3 minutes long and my product is 3 minutes exactly. My transitions included a lot of fade-outs and stuff like that, so it is not as ideal as I would have wanted it to be. There is no consistent background unlike as I mentioned in the proposal, but 3 that switches with each other so the listener will still find familiarity in the whole song.
Evaluate your learning and new skills acquired. *

Overall, I learnt how to use GarageBand to its extent. Plug-ins was an unfamiliar topic at first but the more I researched the more I learnt about it. I also learnt what bpm is, and how to match a song with another of the same bpm. I also learnt how to change a bpm of a song by just a few simple buttons. Learning how to make several very different songs fit together and transition smoothly is a skill I have yet to master but I would like to explore more in the future. With Mr O’Toole’s help, I have also learnt how to count the beats in a song (3/4, 4/4).

 

What challenges did you face and overcome? *

I didn’t face a lot of challenges throughout this project but I encountered a couple that I overcame after some help from Google or Mr O’Toole. The hardest thing to do was to find the songs. As I mentioned above, all the songs I like do not fit together well at all. So all of my initial plans and hopes had been destroyed. I had to start over from scratch. I spent so much of my time just trying to find songs to put in my projects (2 whole lessons), it took so long that I contemplated changing my project to acapella. But after asking my friends for advice, I had settled on some of their favourite songs mixed in with mine. Match tempo was hard too, even after watching Mr O’Toole’s video, I still didn’t know how to make the tempo the same as the metronome, but after using a bpm calculator, this problem was easily solved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*