Science Reflection (*Student + Parent Conference)

During these past few months in science class, we learned many different things, discussed biodiversity and created cardboard structures.

When creating cardboard structures we worked in groups of three (Liana, Georgena and I) and all had different jobs we had to complete by the end of the unit. I think with doing this unit and being involved in it I improved my collaboration skills since we were always helping one another, I was new when doing this and quite shy so by being in the groups I improved my communication skills and started to be more confident. I believe this also tested our creative skills and how well we think outside of the box. Liana, Georgena and I created cubbies and hooks made out of cardboard to place jackets and backpacks near the third-floor gym as it is usually crowded and very disorganized, our goal was to provide more convenience to staff and students as well as create a more organized area. Although it was an excellent idea that would really improve the school we didn’t have enough time to complete the hooks because of different challenges and difficulties as well as just being silly at times.

This image represents what we’re planning to do with the cubbies, unfortunately, I didn’t receive the photos that were taken of the hooks. As you could see the bags fit well in the different sections of the cubbies, this shows how it organizes everything neatly.

Another project that I did was the creating the poster that informs people about biodiversity in different places around the world. The ecosystem I chose for this unit was the “Belize Barrier Reef,” on my poster it had shown the biotic and abiotic elements found in that ecosystem, the location of the reef itself, interactions in the ecosystem, niches and habitats found in the ecosystem as well as a trophic triangle and food web in the Belize barrier reef. On my poster, it provided pictures and big titles so it was easier to understand the information that was on the poster. I really enjoyed this unit because it was very interesting to find out about the kind of ecosystem the Belize Barrier Reef is and the different elements that it is made up of. A big problem that I’ve found is when researching the different topics, it was very hard because not everything that I needed to know was provided online so I really had to find my research on a variety of sites. All in all, I really liked the unit.